Screen protector or not?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Tmurray315, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Tmurray315 macrumors regular

So I'm wondering if i should get a screen protector or not. When I got the new iPad I went to best buy on the release and they had only the zagg invisible shield protectors not the had so I'm wondering if I should just go to best buy and have them put it on or get the he not sure if I should use a screen protector or not what do you guys think?

2. number84 macrumors 6502

Not. So much nicer without. I've used with and without.

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Get a smart cover or some sort of case with a cover and you're set. Unless you have a tendency to put your keys on top of iPads there shouldnt be any problem.
    If you do have that tendency, then stop doing it. :p

4. Stouver macrumors member

First iPad here. I tried Zagg from Bestbuy when I first bought it but didn't care for the way the screen looked or felt. I was about to not bother with one at all but I heard good things about Ghost Armor, so I checked out their mall kiosk. Buddy who worked there told me if I didn't think it looked good he wouldn't charge me. You can hardly notice the screen change and the feel of it is less noticeable compared to some I have had on my phone.

5. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I agree with this. I never use a screen protector but I do keep it in a case that keeps the screen covered when it's not in use.

6. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

I wouldn't bother especially if you use some sort of flip case or smart cover.

The screens are ridiculously difficult to scratch in my experience. I never used a protector or case on my 1st gen iPad and I don't have a single scratch on the screen. I wasn't particularly careful with it either.

7. Tmurray315 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to hear I had my iPad since release and didn't put one on I ordered a smart cover but and zagg invisible shield for it didn't even use them I ordered a case from maroo so I might just return them if I can

8. alau0115 macrumors regular

With screen protector, I find the screen easier to clean and the dust doesn't stick to the surface as much as before. (the dust would stick less to the anti-glare ones than the clear ones)

Under certain lighting, such as LED, I am positive you will see some tiny scratches/hairline scratches if without the screen protector. But it also depends on how sensitive you are to tiny scratches. For some, they never see the tiny scratches which is a good thing in life..:p

On the other hand, the screen protectors are prone to scratches in various extent. Unless you are careful and with anti-glare ones..

9. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Last week I picked up my new ipad3 from best buy. On way home I take iPad out of box. As I'm walking up my steps with iPad in my hand I open door and iPad goes flying out of my hand and hits door drops to ground I was afraid to look I pick it up look at screen I see massive scratches and scuffs thought the whole screen. The film that apple put on iPad was till on it (thank god) I peel it off not one scratch or mark. So I ran back to best buy had them for (15 dollars) install zagg hd screen protecter best 15 bucks I ever pent to have them put it on came out perfect

10. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Definitely put on screen protector. I use Power Support Crystal film. Used it on my iPad 2, and now got the same film for my iPad 3rd gen.

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

If you're careful with things, no screen protector needed. If you're clumsy, get one.

12. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

+1 this applies to many things

13. badpinoy macrumors regular

i have ghost armor on mine. only complaint is that the guy at the mall misaligned the film going back this weekend to see if they can redo it.

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Never had one any of my 3 iPads, never a scratch on the screen... can't say the same for the bottom and back of the device though. Even in a case I was able to ding and scratch the exposed portions of my iPad. Nothing remotely major and only noticeable when being OCD with the iPad.

But never had a problem with the glass.

15. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

16. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Not for yours truly.

It adds a good resell value if you do. Bought my mom an iPad and because it was her first portable device, I put the screen protector on it. It was damn hard too!!

I hate the feeling of the Zagg screen protectors.

When the iPad 2 came out, I got mum that and the Apple smart cover. She has had it for a year and no marks, blemishes etc.

I bought the newest version and I have to say, after using the iPad 1 with the screen protector (she gave it to me when I got her the 2), I LOVE the feeling of the glass WITHOUT the protector.

I have a smart cover and that should do it imo.

17. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

I have the Radtech clear cover on my and the wife's, you can even tell it is there and now I don't have to worry about a thing!

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective matter. Read the countless screen protector threads if you want input and reach your own conclusion.

19. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Smart Feather came with a screen protector so I put it on. I noticed it's not as sensitive to touch ... this may be bad or good. Without screen protector a finger close to the screen would activate and of course the slightest touch would activate. With a screen protector it's slightly less sensitive. I'll be leaving it on. I heard the coating wears off, then others have said it won't wear off as it's embedded in the glass.