Screen protector question

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by imHappy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. imHappy macrumors regular

What is meant by static cling films?

Im planning on getting the 3m screen protectors for my iphone 4s.
    On the product detail in it's website, it states that it doesn't leave any residue. Therefore, is this film adhesive considered as "static cling"?

So, can it be said that static films are the screen protectors that doesn't require any liquid to stick unlike the adhesive films that does require liquids to stick like the zagg invisible shields?

Correct me if im wrong :)
    Thx in adv.

2. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

You are right.

Static cling means the protectors do not require liquid to apply. Also static cling films can be removed and re-positioned. A good quality of static films is that if you get dust, you can simply apply scotch tape to the sticky side and remove it without damaging the film.

3. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

Also there are some cheap films (1-3$) which when i remove, does leave some sort of residue. Maybe quite sticky, yet those doesn't require any aditional liquids. So are those adhesive or static films?

Finally, does those damage the oleophobic coating?

4. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

These are adhesive. Static films do not have glue at all, they stick from static similar to when a balloon pulls arm hair.

The Oleophobic coating is very strong and can only get damaged from friction over time or strong chemicals. A film either, static or adhesive won't cause damage to it.

I recommend the following static film brands:

SpigenSGP

PowerSupport

Switcheasy

Some people here also recommend Monoprice, but I have no experience with these.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not necessarily. There are adhesive screen protectors that use a wet application process. There are adhesive screen protectors that use a dry application process. All the static cling ones that I've run across use a dry process. The difference is just in the use of adhesive versus static cling (just as their names indicate).