Screen protector recommendations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisperra, Sep 20, 2014.

1. chrisperra macrumors member

chrisperra

This phone release has been good for me... But the one thing I'm a bit frustrated about is the lack of good protectors in retail. I've heard the Zagg glass is too small for the screen and leaves a rainbow effect around the edges, is this true for those who have it? I've also heard poor things about the Spigen one too. What are you using? What are your thoughts? Any help and recommendations would be appreciated.

2. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I got the Power Support anti-glare film set conveniently sold at the Apple Store when I picked my iPhone 6 up. The film feels way better than glass and looks a whole lot better after use than the supposedly oleo-phobic iPhone digitizer.

I've used anti glare films before, usually Belkin. There is both a slight softening and a slight loss of contract compared to iPhoning bareback. That is to say pictures don't look quite as good.

I prefer the film though. The film went on stupidly easy and smoothly without any bubbles at all. I was shocked (really). The silly curves on the edges of the iPhone 6 screen mean that the film will never cover all of the screen. Welcome to the new paradigm.

I recommend this brand of film.

3. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I'm using the Zagg glass, and I've noticed none of the issues the OP described. In fact, the fit is the same as on my old 5s - it's just that the beveled edges of the glass on the new iPhone extends further out than the 5S (where the glass had perpendicular edges to match the body of the phone). And there definitely is no rainbow effect on my phone, either.

4. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I just preordered a protector from Best Skins Ever. They start shipping on Monday and actually do exact cutouts and fit the whole screen.

5. chrisperra thread starter macrumors member

chrisperra

Thanks for the input on the zagg. I will buy it and install it. That is my preferred shield.

6. z06gal macrumors 6502

I have had excellent results with Rhinoshield ;)

7. wickedwahine11, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I actually did have issues with the Zagg glass and am attempting to return it. Search for threads - there were a few of us that got it and are unhappy. It not only does not cover the entire screen - it does not even really cover all of the LCD. I have the rainbow issue and it also looks terrible - way too small.

Please forgive the horrible quality of the photo (taken with an iPad) but it does show the outline of the screen protector and how small it is. It was applied by the manager at AT&T and is slightly crooked, but you can still get a size reference.

[​IMG]

8. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

Snot Rox

I love Power Support. Have been using them since my iPhone 4.

9. chrisperra thread starter macrumors member

chrisperra

Rhinoshield looks to be pre-order right now. I did order those though. I also ordered some from Ghost Armor and Best Screen Shields. I'm super particular, so we will see what I like best and give the others to family. This has been a ton of help. Thanks!

10. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I also purchased it and had the same issues! Im so disappointed!. I used to love this shield on my iPhone 5s.

11. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Do the power support shields still degrade quality of the screen? I loved how they felt but the screen always looked like it was wet or something.

12. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I got the screen protector that was at the Apple Store. Not be honest it's junk IMO: the screen protector isn't forgiving - it exactly fits the screen size - so you have to be 100% perfect when applying . So therefore, also, it doesn't protect the entire front like others have done so in the past.

Look at the above photo.

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I'ved read your other post about the issue with Zagg glass as well. I even posted there. But decided to give it a try (of course it's my money). Yes the zagg glass isn't edge to edge of the phone but slightly edge to edge to the Screen itself.

However, I have used the hinge method to install, so I placed 2 rubber bands around the phone over the screen protector, I made sure everything is aligned perfectly and after that I taped one of the sides (which creates a door hinge type). Then I cleaned the screen and applied. It is perfectly aligned and have no issues with what you described. Looking far away, I barely notice the zagg glass is on there but yes, Zagg could have made it a bit bigger.

14. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

I got the HD screen protector from Zagg. I did notice it's a bit of a close fit, but if you've installed them before or have the employee at a kiosk install them, getting them lined up isn't too difficult. I've noticed none of the "rainbow effect" others have, and I wonder if that comes from users choosing the Glass instead of HD protector, or if a black versus white iphone face make a difference (mine is black.) I've used Zagg protectors since my first 3G, and have never had a complaint. I'm willing to bet they will tweak the dimensions in a month or two, after they've had real world experience and feedback from customers. They could easily be a little wider without sliding off onto the beveled edges.

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Don't you guys miss the smoothness of swiping from the edge, especially now that reaching buttons in the opposite corner is a little difficult? Hitting the edge of the screen protector every time can't feel very nice.

16. wxnats macrumors 6502a

You put it on crooked.

17. chrisperra thread starter macrumors member

chrisperra

Taking recommendations from some of you, I got Ghost Armor, and it is the most amazing protector I've ever used... It even covers the entire glass (minus about 1mm all the way around for case friendliness). Go for it! It's awesome.

18. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I've been very happy with the Skinomi skin for the iphone 6 from Amazon - it's only $4-5 shipped, includes front and back protection, and covers the whole screen.

19. megapopular macrumors 6502a

The crystal film is really almost perfectly clear, the other styles have that shimmer or wet look.