Screen protector scratches. Is glass better?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Retired Cat, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I put a new Belkin screen film on my iPhone 5 last month, only to have it scratched yesterday. Doh!

I don't know how it happened, but the scratch is a tiny, perfectly straight line, which is kind of odd. It's ok though. As long as the film takes the hit and not the screen…

I guess something like the Spigen GLAS.tR slim would hold up better, but $35/protector is a lot. I'd be scared of messing up the install. Belkin films are $15/3-pack retail.

2. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Glass shields are more expensive, but much more resistant to scratching. I've have a glass shield on my phone since June and there's not a single blemish or scratch on it. Any other screen shield would be pretty banged up by now for me.

As long as you take your time, make sure you're aligned, and make sure your screen is free of dust, you'll be fine. Maybe even try the shower trick

I used to think the hype behind Glass shields was pretty rediculous, but after having used one, i'm not sure i could go back to standard plastic

3. wxman2003 Suspended

Normally I would put a glass screen protector on my iphone 5s, but with the gyro issues I decided on the Tech Armor instead. If Apple can't fix the issue on current batch, I will send back for a replacement, and thus I don't want to spend $20 to $30 on a glass protector. I was pleasantly surprised by the tech armor. Easy to install using hinge method, and still no scratches. 3 for $7 on Amazon is a good deal.

4. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Better is subjective. Glass would be harder.

6. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Good to know everyone's perspectives on the glass protectors. I still have 2 more plastic ones to burn through, but I might go for glass after that.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Mime has cheaper glass screen protectors. I got the thicker one, but it works with my case.