Screen protector that DOESN'T take away HD for iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by xXSL1MXx, Nov 6, 2011.

1. xXSL1MXx macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 and have what feels like a great quality screen protector. One thing though. I went into the Apple store today and saw the iPhones. The screens make mine look like crap! Is there a screen protector(I don't care if it leaves fingerprints or its not antiglare) that doesn't take away the HD and keeps it as nice as an iPhone without a protector? :confused:

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Powersupport Crystal comes close, it's available at the Apple store as well.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I just bought some cheap ones off DX and don't notice it affecting the retina display at all. As long as you get the crystal screen protectors and not matte, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I just got lucky? :confused:

4. kalt macrumors regular

I use the SGH Steinheil ultra oleophobic screen protectors and I can't tell any difference with the screen quality. Best protectors IMO. Never use a thick screen protector like Zagg for the screen (they're fine for the back).

5. docprego macrumors 65816

Unfortunately only the anti-glare are available in the Apple Store. The OP definitely won't want those, they affect the screen quality to a great extent.

Suggestions:

SGP Crystal
    Power Support Crystal
    3M Natural View

6. trek360 macrumors 6502

I'd go with powersupport crystal. I can't even tell it is there and it preserves the screen quality beautifully. You'll probably have to order directly from powersupport.

7. The Toddler macrumors member

The Toddler

i endorse the Power Support crystal as well. You can't even tell it's on there (feels like the glass) if you do a good job putting it on (with no dust underneath). Feels just like the glass, too. I also tried out their anti-glare film and the crystal is head and shoulders above it.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I have to disagree to some extent. While anti-glare screen protectors will affect the resolution to some degree, if you get a high-end one like the Power Support Anti-Glare HD, the effects are minimized. I had a Power Support Anti-Glare on my 3GS for 2 years and put the HD version on my 4S not long after launch day and there's a HUGE difference between the two. The original PS Anti-Glare was MUCH more grainy than the HD version for the Retina display. Is it as clear as a crystal film or no film at all? No, of course not. But, for me at least, the advantages of the anti-glare film outweigh the minimal degradation of the display resolution.

10. Gullfrode macrumors newbie

Gullfrode

I kind of like Wrapsols screenprotectors.

11. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

dont forget, the apple stores intentionally keep the brightness on everything at 100%.

12. ac921ol macrumors regular

this is 100% true, they have everthing on full blast in the AM, unless someone turns it down during the day, expect it to be at full blast.

I am looking for a screen protector that comes in a pack and has a few extras, as i dont use my iphone all day long for watchign movies or anything, i think a glare one would be fine for what I use my phone for.

13. docprego macrumors 65816

I had to find out if the PS Anti-Glare HD affected the Retina Display quality in a negative way. Within 2 minutes of research I was convinced that it does. Reading the reviews on Apple's Store site one person said,

"Now the bad, they claim it is "compatible" with the Retina display, I
    beg to differ. It adds a very noticeable grainy appearance to pictures, and affects the depth of color. I find the Retina display to be the best in the world, regardless of size or price, and this film just ruins that for me."

This person has the same expectations that I do of a screen protector; primarily that it does not negatively affect the glorious display quality. For the PS Anti-Glare this is apparently not the case.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The PS antiglare makes fingerprints and face smears nearly completely invisible. There's no way to do that without adding some grain to the surface. People who think it's some kind of magic coating are expecting too much.