Screen protector when closing lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetjaguar, Oct 6, 2009.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Do u need to put a screen protector over the keyboard when u close the screen to protect the screen ? or do the keys notouch the screen?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah its designed so the keys don't touch the screen :D

You don't need a keyboard protector:cool:

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

K thanks cuz I'm always using one an was wondering if it is actually doing something

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Your Welcome! If when your laptop is shut and you look where the lid meets the bottom part of the computer it doesn't quite touch:D

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

6. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I disagree. I have the RadTech screen protector that I cover my keyboard with before shutting the screen. I know that the keys touch the screen because before I had this protector, I would open it up and in the light I could see the keys very clearly imprinted on the screen.

My girlfriend has the same computer and the marks on her screen are VERY evident. She got frustrated and had to wipe the screen down almost every time she used it because of this issue. I finally got sick of her complaining and just bought her a screen protector as well. Now she is happy and no longer gets the key marks.

I don't think the keys are damaging the screen because the marks wipe right off. But it's just annoying.

RadTech screen protector can be found here:
    http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

If you are unsure whether or not the keys are touching the screen, turn your screen brightness all the way down and put the screen in the sun. I'll be amazed if you don't see marks on your screen.

7. prodigee macrumors 6502a

On the new unibodies the keys do not touch the screen. Think about it, there is the rubber around the bezel of the screen that raises it off the surface of the aluminum (done to prevent scratching). Then there is the fact that they keys are recessed below the surface of the aluminum anyway, if your keys touch the screen on your unibody I would take it to Apple.

If you are talking about a preunibody MBP then yes the keys do touch the screen and I would suggest getting either a screen protector or a keyboard cover.

8. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

The keys WILL touch the screen if you put even just a tiny bit pressure on the lid. Makes for a wonderful design on the screen.

Attached Files:

9. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

FALSE

The keys DO touch the screen with the smallest amount of pressure. Just by carrying the closed notebook in one hand from the desk to the sleeve is enough pressure to make the keys touch the screen with said pressure.

And the keys are not completely recessed below the aluminum. They stick out above the aluminum juuuust enough to be able to touch the screen. If you don't believe me, look at your keyboard strait on.

EDIT: Spillproof's picture above should be enough to prove our points.

10. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I have never experienced the issue myself, and I have certainley applied a fair amount of pressure on my screen. I bring my MBP to and from school everyday in my backpack with plenty of textbooks and notebooks, and I have been doing this for over 2 months now, and I have never had this issue, and I put it into my sleeve all the time with just 1 hand, and still never have this issue.