screen protector

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by kevt, Mar 23, 2011.

1. kevt macrumors member

My iPad 2 will arrive next week. Do I need to get a screen protector like I have for my iPhone?

2. hoofbite macrumors member

It's up to you. Your iPhone is exposed more, it's in your pocket moving around (possibly with coins and keys). It's kept out in the open a lot. Basically the iPhone is used and carried with us everywhere, therefore it is more prone to damage.

Now most people tend to carry their iPad in a case or sleeve, and simply take it out when they wish to use it. Then the iPad is placed back in the case/sleeve when no longer needed.

Point being a screen protector is not needed as badly as an iPhone would need one. However if you do not plan to get a case/sleeve for your iPad and plan to let it sit out in the open all day. Then you might want to get a screen protector just in case.

3. Ramrod82 macrumors member

Ramrod82

I was in the same boat as u op. However I bought one at yes best buy and they were cool enough to do it for free, usually $10 extra. The guy did a great job and the screen looks great and the sensitivity is fine, I say yes do it even if it costs a few dollars more, better to be safe than sorry also if u look to sell this, u can say its scratch free

4. kevt thread starter macrumors member

anyone else with an opinion - Do I need a screen protector for my iPad 2?

5. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I think it is a must have item. Better to be safe than sorry. Even though I have mine in a case all the time and rarely take it anywhere, minor dings can occur on the screen area. I would much rather spend $30 or so for a screen protector than have some dings on the screen and not beable to get rid of them. Since using them, I have only put one on at the time of purchase and taken it off when I got rid of my ipad. Right now I am just using the plastic wrap that it came in and that is working quite well with it in the case. Just waiting to find a protector since the first patch of Zaggs were defective (cut wrong at factory).

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I've had an iPad 1 for a year with no protector. I do have the apple case though. Glass looks as good as new once you polish it up with a screen cloth. If I didn't have a case that covered the screen I may want one, but not necessary if you do.

And as others have said the iPad should be exposed to less abuse than iPhone.

7. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

It's simple: the iPad screen is capable of being scratched. Will yours ever be in the hands of someone careless or with a diamond ring on? Will you regret not paying 15-30$ to have kept a scratch from occurring?

If yes then just buy one. I put one on all my devices purely so that I can be careless and relaxed with it, elsewise I would be concerned when letting a friend or colleague use it.

I got my iLuv screen protectors (the static cling type, not wet adhesive) from amazon for under 15$ shipped. Packaging was a bit mangled but the screen protectors were not creased or harmed.

FYI I find that a can of compressed air and some "magic" clear tape are your best friend for an installation free of dust or debris.

BTW I know 2 others that refuse to put one on, but they also wouldn't have the same hang up that I would if it did get scratched.

8. jedolley macrumors 68000

I have a couple opinions...

You may not be getting alot of responses because, a. This is not in the accessories sub forum and b. There have already been many threads just like this one, and even a few polls. :D

Anyways, as everyone has said, it's up to you.

9. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I have them on my iPhone and I am pretty religious about keeping them on my iDevices.. 1 scratch and the value decreases significantly.. I have no issues with sensitivity or anything with them on so to me, it's better to be safe. I use the 3M Natural Views for my iPhone 4 and love them, however I went with invisishield for my iPad. I had it on my iPad 1 also. They are. Bit more expensive but the smaller scratches just fade back out. They also guarantee the screen protector to keep your device free from scratches. I don't do the full body since I do have cases, but I do protect the glass. It's always beet to be safe then sorry.