Screen Protector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wb3jma, Dec 10, 2011.

1. wb3jma macrumors newbie

Hi new to the forums but not to Macbooks just got hold of a refurbished MBP 13" 2010 back in September and ordered the standard shell hard case protectors. What I'm looking for is an anti glare screen protector that will work with a hard case that is not the film type that you lay over.

Thank You!

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

anti glare screen shields will degrade the screen quality.

also....there is no need for a protector for a laptop screen....why would u be touching it anyway? its not a touch scren LOL

3. wb3jma thread starter macrumors newbie

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

what do u mean it wasnt very helpful . i saved u 30bucks form buying an anti glare screen protector.

its a glass screen its not gona scratch . just whipe it down once and a whie with a cloth and bit of water

5. xdbuix macrumors 6502

I'm goign to have to say the same thing. Like the other poster says it does degrade the screen quality. Screen protectors imo are only really good on touch devices like the iPhone. It's not worth the $ in this case to get a screen protector for macbooks. I've had macbooks for 6 years and the two i have never had a scratch ever.

I would suggest though saving the money and using it towards like a keyboard protector or something else.

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

10 bucks on ebay

7. ethics101 macrumors regular

RandomRazr adds nothing of value to these forums. If you look at his posts, its obvious he is angry at the world.

To answer your question, take a look at the moshi screen shields. You won't find much in terms of options unfortunately.

8. hotgrease macrumors regular

I had a Power Support anti-glare screen protector on my old computer. It was ok - it does make the screen a bit grainy though so maybe if you can find a clear one that might be better. I did get use to it though and I loved being able to wipe off dust or whatever with my hand and not be afraid of scratching it. The Power Support shield fits very well also. I think it was $30 though so it is pricey.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe PowerSupport makes an antiglare screen protector for that computer. Their iPhone 4/4S antiglare films seem to work very well without affecting the picture quality by much, so I imagine their laptop screen protector would be just as good.

It can be interpreted as not helpful because the OP asked what is a good screen protector, not if he/she should get one. Also when someone specifies they wish to use an antiglare screen protector my first reaction is they do not want a glossy display, not that they care about getting fingerprints on the screen.

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Here is two thumbs up for Power Support film. I have regularly extolled its virtues on this forum so do a search if you are interested in more info...

11. happle macrumors 6502a

OP: if your just looking to get rid of the glare then i would say you could try one but if your just trying to protect the screen its pretty useless. the mbp has hard glass over the lcd screen which will not scratch. you can even poke them all you want and it will be fine. also they are easy to clean.

12. Pro User macrumors newbie

Since I haven't seen this suggested, there is also ClearCal by radtech.

13. wb3jma thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes exactly thank you. Its the glare, the matte option is not available for the 13' so I'm really looking to reduce glare not protect the screen per se!

14. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Do NOT use a cloth and water. The minerals and other chemicals that your city puts into the water WILL damage the screen. You need to use a microfiber cloth, and a screen cleaning solution of some kind, like Clean Doctor, or iKlear.

You can use the screen cleaning cloth that shipped with your MacBook Pro, but a microfiber cloth is recommended.

15. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

i got a screen protector from ebay for about six bucks delivered and it is fantastic. the screen protector fit all the way to the very edge of the screen with a little less than half a millimeter of slack on each side just before the rubber flange near the edge.

the screen of the 13 inch macbook pro is "not" glass and can be scratch. not that it can easily be scratch anyway since there are no reason for touching it in the first place.
    however, my situation is my classmate and instructors often have a habit of pointing their fingers and pencils, "yes, their pencils" at my screen when we were illustrating some class work materials on my laptop. i don't want to say anything to them to discomfort them, so i just put on a screen protector for piece of mind sake. this is about a month after i owning my macbook pro, and thank goodness my screen didn't get any scratch.

the screen protector i got was glossy and it is very clear and very easy to apply.

16. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The Power Support anti-glare film is no grainier than my 2490WUXi2 NEC display. It only takes a little while to become accustomed to it. It doesn't interfere with using the displays.

The Power Support film is thicker than other films, so one would think that it offers a bit more protection. I have also read about color-shifts when using the RadTech film; that isn't a problem with the Power Support film.

Apple matte displays seem to have minimal graininess compared to the other matte displays I have used, so perhaps we are a bit spoiled... :p

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

LOL water is water its not gonna hurt anything

apples matte display is different. the matte coating is DIRECTLY on the display. there is ZERO graining

18. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Now if only Apple would offer more anti-glare display options... I'm not in the market for a 15" or 17" MBP so it's either a non-Apple display or anti-glare film/TechRestore screen replacement.

19. randomrazr macrumors 65816

they dont have matte displays for 13inchs

ur best bet is the 13inch air

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Which is still a glossy display albeit less glare due to the lack of a glass cover, but glossy nonetheless.

21. randomrazr macrumors 65816

youtube usr theunits says its much better then the pros in terms of screen
    also better resolution

22. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

That isn't my experience with the MBAs. I went with a 13" MBP.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's still glossy nonetheless. And why would I care what some YouTube user says? Screen resolution is irrelevant.

Anyways the OP already has a computer.

24. randomrazr macrumors 65816

because he OWNs it andthus has experience with it

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I own one too. It's still too glossy compared to the antiglare.

Now it's my word against his ;)