Screen protectors and oleophobic coating

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WashupDawg, May 28, 2010.

1. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Hi there,

Lately I've been experimenting with some different cases where there are screen protectors included. This got me thinking whether it's a good idea to use these sticky buggers or not.

First off, the oleophobic screen really helps a lot of avoiding a dirty screen. But isn't it just a coating? Does it eventually wear off? If so then I could imagine that removing a screen protector would be quite bad for the coating.

Now, this is just me guessing. Are there anybody around who actually know some theory about this olephobic coating on the glass screen?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes, it does eventually wear off - Apple actually says it will.

It's quite illogical to use a screen protector on a new iPhone. It completely defeats the object of the oleophobic coating. The screen protector you refer to was originally for the early iPhones and iTouches - sans coating to their screens.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I still put a screen protector on my 3GS.
    Coating doesnt protect from scratches so if you stick your iphone in your pocket or a bag with keys or coins you might scratch the glass.