screen protectors and the oleophobic coating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glocke12, Oct 28, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I ordered an SGP ultra film set for my ip4s, and probably should have asked this question first.

Do these films damage the oleophobic coating on the glass at all? If I put a film on, and than 6 months later remove it will the coating still be there or will it be damaged from the film?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

You'll be fine.

I recently refreshed the screen protector (similar to SGP) on my old 3GS and the underlying screen was in perfect shape after having had the protector in place for 15 months.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The only bad thing I noticed was that after a few months of having the protector on, once I took it off there was a noticeable ring around the home button and the earpiece hole where the oleophobic coating had worn off and therefore fingerprints and oils would be more visible there. I found it kind of annoying, actually ...

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

@mavis: interesting. for whatever it's worth I did not see this on the 3GS I mentioned.

In fact I thought for sure the screen would need replacing; it had a bunch of chips/gouges in the screen protector that I assumed went through to the glass.

When I pulled it off and cleaned up the screen it was pristine, like brand new. (the person using the 3GS this past year or so had dropped it a couple times)

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thanks..The reason I asked is because the glass on my ip4 (owned since launch day) which had a screen protector on it for the first three months, has surface that is much less smooth than my new ip4s.

In a previous thread it was explained to me that is because the oleophobic coating wore off on the ip4. I was worried that it was due to having film on there, but maybe it just wears off naturally over time ?