Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FullMetalx117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
This is my firstly time owning an iPad and was wondering if a screens protector is a must. I was already planning on getting a case but that is basically for grip issues. Do you guys believe screen protectors are necessary?

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
This is my firstly time owning an iPad and was wondering if a screens protector is a must. I was already planning on getting a case but that is basically for grip issues. Do you guys believe screen protectors are necessary?

This is my regimen, with all tablets and such that I own. A case to protect tablet and a screen protector. You are spending a pretty chunk of money on a new device, don't skimp to make it last longer. So for the iPad, I have a Smart Cover compatible leather cased backing, Smart Cover (haven't purchased yet), and a clear screen protector. If anything, I say get a screen protector for sure, that thing has saved me from many accidents. Plus they are cheap, I picked up some iPad 1 ones (they fit as well, from past experience) 3 of them for under $3 shipped on Amazon.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not necessary, but I recommend at least a screen protector.

I know it is different with an iPhone, but I got a nick in my screen and it drove me nuts.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I personally do not think they are necessary but I guess it depends on your usage. I've never had a screen protector on any iOS device because I believe it takes away from the beauty of the screen. And the iPad's retina display takes that to a supernal level so I definitely won't be covering that up with anything. However, I do keep it in a case, for grip issues like you said.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Why does an iPad or iPhone need a screen protector? Back in the old days screen protectors were needed because the stylus you had to use would scratch up the screen. These screens don't scratch with your finger. And if you drop it some thin screen protector isn't going to prevent it from cracking. A screen protector is pointless on an iOS device IMO.

A case, yeah I would recommend that.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm not planning on adding a screen protector personally, but at least a case (Case Mate Tuxedo for iPad 3, which is the thinnest I could find).

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I use a Power Support antiglare screen protector. Not so much to protect the screen but I can't stand the glare and the anti fingerprint properties are great. If I don't have one on I find myself constantly wiping the screen.

I use a skin on the back. This time I'm going with a Zagg leather. I like this setup because it keeps the iPad light weight for around the house. I use a simple sleeve for travel or my Macally DualStand2 which has a built-in stand. It's ugly as sin but works very well on long flights.

I put Ghost Armor on my husband's and grandkids iPads. No drop protection but keeps scratches off and the screen is still clear and smooth as silk, no drag like Zagg.

Everyone has their own preferred setup. Unfortunately it get pretty expensive the first time around unless you happen to find the right one first time out. I suggest if you like whatever setup you use stop looking at cases. Otherwise you'll keep finding something you 'just have to have'.

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
I'm just going to use the smart cover, did this with the iPad 2 and it was fine so hopefully will be with this one. I don't know how anyone could cover up the beauty of the retina display

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The problem with the screen is not the strength of the glass, it's the fact that the oleophobic coating scratches easily. I believe that most scratches people see are on the oleophobic layer and not the glass itself. I remember reading a post on here where a guy was able to buff out scratches on his iPad by removing the oleophobic layer completely.

I personally get either a skin for the back + smart cover or a full body case. There are a lot of fairly thin and light alternatives out there that also have the smart cover sleep/wake function. I don't see why you wouldn't use a case. The iPad ain't cheap.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Screen protector is useless. In the one in a hundredchance you do so something that would significantly scratch the screen, you've got a scratch on the screen. You'll live, don't hurt the image quality and make yourself view scratches on the protector all the time.

Case is a must when carrying it around, at least outside of your (carpeted I hope) home. In the one in a hundred chance you have a major drop, our screen could shatter rendering it useless.

Well, a case or Apple Care + or other accident warranty.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008

Pro photographers do not use UV filters, even quality ones, to protect their lenses as these filters will degrade image quality.

Well....with a retina display it is a little bit the same story. Putting a piece of plastic on it will degrade the image. If you can live with that by all means put a protector on it. If you want optimal image quality then don't.

If you feel the need to protect your iPad to keep a better resale value then perhaps you should buy cheaper toys! In my opinion an iPad is a tool. I use my tools and sometimes that shows. So be it!

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I prefer the feel of a case - a bit better grip and the metal is cold. In addition, it give me (albeit probably false) peace of mind against small drops.

Screen protectors I hate. I do sense a bit of loss of tactile response.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
With reasonable care a screen protector is not required. I do not like the as they change the feel and get in the way of the quality screen. Many will not agree but I have tried several only to peel off and trash.

As far as A case, yes. The aluminum back IS scratched easily and if you do not want it to get scratched you better be laying it on a soft cloth as it will take it's toll.

I would not buy any case right now till the MFGs get their act together, just be careful for the time being.

Jonesy76

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Norwich
My iPad spends every day wedged into a rucksack on my bike commute to work, so unless I want the back scratched to hell and back after being bounced around a back case is essential for me.

However my iPad 1 spent its entire life with me in its Apple suede case and never had a screen protector on it. It survived two hard crashes on the bike inside my rucksack and the screen is still perfect now it's been passed to my wife.

My new iPad has a plastic back protector, and a smart cover.......that is all.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Dont use screen protectors. Completely ruins the experience.

If you desperately need some protection from the front, get a smart cover. That way it wont get scratched (not that it should anyway), and you wont have to deal with the nasty nasty feel of a plastic screen that a protector would give.

Back protection go for a clear matte skin.

The back is pretty much the only essential thing to protect with iDevices. Aluminium scratches, dents, and chips extremely easily. So unless everything in your house is covered in the finest cotton wool, its necessary.

Ofcourse you can always just keep it naked. Afterall, having no protection provides you with the best experience possible. I did it with all my iPhones, and didnt have to put up with skins or screen protectors that just feel horrible to touch. None of them ended up being damaged or even scratched. So much so that the Genius guys at the Apple Store were shocked to see a year old iPhone 4 in immaculate condition. Although I suspect thats down to so many idiots buying iPhones because they're shiny these days, and treating them like a nokia 3310.

----------

I prefer the feel of a case - a bit better grip and the metal is cold. In addition, it give me (albeit probably false) peace of mind against small drops.

Screen protectors I hate. I do sense a bit of loss of tactile response.

To be fair, the metal is never cold on the new iPad when in use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.