Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
I recently purchased a screen protector from eBay( Xtreme Guard) , had no idea they needed to be wet before applying it on, I usually use Dry ones, How safe is it to apply those on a MacBook Air or any other Notebook/Phone? Should I expect any screen issues?

Thanks in advance

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
On an iPad wet screen protectors are much easier to apply without bubbles. But on a laptop I can see the liquid getting into the bezel around the screen when you try to apply it and causing problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've never used a screen protector on a laptop before, but do have experience with the wet apply skins. If you do decide to go ahead with the install, I would just recommend leaving your MBA powered off overnight or for a full day to completely dry. It should be relatively safe assuming you don't go crazy with the water solution. People use wet apply skins for the body of the laptop mostly, so there is still the same water damage risk, but those usually turn out alright as long as precaution is taken.

With that said, I would probably advise you to just return it. There is really no reason to apply a screen protector to a non-touch screen unless you were adding some sort of anti-glare to it (even then I don't think it's worth it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.