Screen Protectors for new iPad with a smooth feel?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LincolnsiPod, Aug 22, 2012.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I used to have an iPad 2 that was covered with a Power Support's Antiglare film. I really liked the smooth feel and the resistant to fingerprint smudges, plus it had no noticeable impact on the quality of the screen display, so I planned to buy a new one for when I upgraded to the new iPad.

Unfortunately the film looked horrible this time. Power Support indicated that their film was developed to account for retina display but that's horse crap. I held up the new iPad and the iPad 2 both covered with the AG film by Power Support SIDE BY SIDE and the new iPad was definitely much grainier, whereas the grainy look was all but nonexistent on the iPad 2. Really destroyed the look of the Retina Display. I had the film on for three days before I finally couldn't take it anymore and ripped it off.

Still, I can't get used to the way the glass grabs my fingers, so I'm looking for another film alternative.

The best rated I found was SGP Ultra Optics, but from what I read it has its own issues as well, and there may simply be no AG film that won't substantially reduce the quality of the retina display. :-(

Honestly though, I can live with the glossy reflectiveness of the retina display, but I'd love to find a screen protector that can emulate the smooth feel and resistance to fingerprint smudges I once had with Power Support's screen protector. Can anyone make any suggestions?

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

Unfortunately thats the rub with Anti-Glare screen protectors. Like you, I like the tactile feel of AG screen protectors but I wish for one that does not degrade clarity. Powersupport and SPG make the best AG with the least amount of clarity degradation.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was hoping there might be a crystal clear film that still retains the tactile feel but that seems to be a lost cause. I may try SGP's version next but if the PowerSupport couldn't pull it off the SGP likely won't either.

4. joekim1026 macrumors regular

I used to have the Zagg Invisible Shield HD and it was pretty smooth.

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

The issue is not smoothness, it's drag. Here's the best way I could explain it... It's analogous to swiping your finger across glass versus swiping your finger across paper. On glass, your finger kinda grabs at the glass. On paper, your finger glides.

6. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

What he said, I think that gliding feeling is only possible on AG film, but virtually all of them reduce the quality of retina display to an unacceptable degree. I haven't seen the SGP Ultra Optics though, but if it's the same quality as the Power Support probably no sense in paying even more money for the same experience.

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

I use the PS antiglare. Fortunately for me I can't see that much degradation. Even next to a naked iPad. But my eyes are older, first time I can say sight loss has been worth something. Although I would gladly give it up to have my young eyes back.

Since I've never use a crystal protector I didn't realize that there was a difference in the feel. I had assumed that the feel was the same. I love the way the antiglare feels and the way my finger slides on the screen. No drag at all.

8. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

On the iPad 2 it was fine, but the graininess over the retina display was unacceptable. i'll probably try the SGP Ultra Optics down the road, but I probably won't be satisfied with that either, especially if it squeaks when you swipe like some people were reporting. Oh well!

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Pretty much. I'd suggest going with crystal.

10. kamin99 macrumors member

I just ordered the 100% Bubble Free iVisor AG iPad Screen Protector from moshi, 30 US but they claim it to be bubble free , will update once i get it

11. xraytech macrumors 68020

I applied one last week and yes it is Bubble Free.

12. kamin99 macrumors member

Does it take away from the Fab retina display ?

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I have $1.50 screen protectors on my iPad 3 and no it doesn't. The only time your display gets screwed up is if you go with a matte finish.

14. docprego macrumors 65816

I'm wondering the same. I had one on my iPad 2 for literally 30 seconds before I ripped it off. I found that it significantly hampered the clarity of the display. I can only imagine it being more pronounced on the Retina display.

15. illusion787 macrumors newbie

I was interested in getting a screen protector for my ipad also. This thread has been pretty helpful, but I would like to see some pictures of the protectors you guys are using! ok thanks

16. jrtdot macrumors member

Bought a couple of those eBay china screens and they feel super smooth.

17. canhaz macrumors regular

Did you ever take the plunge on the SPG? I recently bought an iPad 3 and need a protector, as the glare is torture.

18. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Not yet, the protector is really expensive, so I'm trying out a cheaper alternative that a friend at work suggested, called the GreatShield Ultra Anti-Glare. It's only $10 at Amazon for three sheets, so I figured it was worth the plunge. He has it on his iPhone 4S and I liked the smooth feel of it and it looked acceptable overlayed on retina display, but I'm not sure the same would be the case on a larger screen like the iPad.

If that doesn't work out I'll probably get the SGP when I'm ready to burn a hole in my wallet.... or hold out and see if they start producing matte iPads. :D

19. tuan time macrumors member

20. canhaz macrumors regular

Cool :) Just ordered it, wil let ya know how it goes if I remember.

21. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it bookmarked for now.

Same here, I'll probably test it out with one sheet and see how it looks, then have it professionally installed by a nearby Apple store if I decide I like the look of it (but messed up the installation). :p