screen protectors - one simple question because I'm STUMPED

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cherylzyx, Jun 14, 2010.

1. cherylzyx macrumors member

cherylzyx

I've been researching screen protectors and it has left me stumped.

I've read the threads here that mention Power Support, Wrapsol, Zagg, and Bodyguardz. I've Googled and found Scosche Klear Coat, Belkin ClearScreen, Cygnott OpticClear, and CaseMate Clear Armor.

I'm overwhelmed with data and just need one simple question answered.

Which screen protector will give me the closest to 'a naked iPhone' in terms of both look and feel as is humanly possible? I want to be able to put the protector on and forget it's there.

I appreciate you all tolerating yet another screen protector post.

2. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

You may not find this helpful lol, but I've tried Bodyguardz, Best Skins Ever, power support, SGP anti-glare and SGP Crystal Clear. Of those, my favorites are Power Support and SGP Crystal Clear. You don't even know they're there. They look just like a naked screen. SGP anti-glare is nice, but makes the screen fuzzy. Those are static-cling type protectors. They look awesome but peel up eventually and tighter cases like sliders will just wreck them. Bodyguardz, BSE, Zagg, etc...(wet application) are all super durable and can withstand slider cases without coming up at the corners, BUT they all have a slight orange-peel effect that may or may not drive you crazy. Bodyguardz is least noticeable, but it's there. If there's a protector out there that's as durable as bodyguardz but looks like power support, that's what I'd go for. I just don't know if that exists.

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I've used Power Support, BestSkinsEver, and another (GadgetShieldz) Zagg-type protector. Don't get Zagg. Power Support is amazing. I really can't tell its there. Completely flat, no orange peel crap, never peels up...but it is not without fault. It gets scratched--not easily, but after a few months, you will start to notice hairline scratches. These bother me MUCH less than the orange-peel of some other brands.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Stay away from anything that says anti-glare. I made the mistake of getting the PowerSupport anti glare when I had my 3gs replaced and the screen looks horribly washed out and it doesn't really block any more glare then my BSE skin did when outdoors.

5. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I had power support screen proctectors were great! I hope they make a full case like my 3GS.

6. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Are there any films yet for iphone4? I want it away to safe it.

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I've used Zagg for my ipods and cameras. It does have the orange peel look, but it's not that bothersome. I may only put the protection on the back and sides and leave the front screen naked with some sort of bumper. Not sure yet. But it's on the way ;).

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Good review. [​IMG]

11. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've used Power Support Crystal Film on every version of the iPhone so far. Unfortunately they won't even BEGIN development until launch on the 24th (per an email posted in another thread). I'm bummed about that.

12. Jizzles macrumors regular

I've used bodyguardz on my 2g, 3GS, and iPad. I also have a zagg on my canon. I like the bodyguardz but the wet application may not appeal to everyone.

One thing for the iPad...the glare is ridiculous. I really wish there was a clear protector.

Another brand which I've read great reviews on is Martin Fields...but they're expensive

13. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Lucky for us, development on a product that already exists, but it just needs to be resized should be a very short process. Maybe a day to get the cut right and then after that all they need to do is build up inventory.

I ordered the Wrapsol because I love the matte back. If I'm not happy with the front then I will do some more shopping around, but I'm not happy with the PowerSupport anti-glare I have on my 3gs right now. I liked the BSE skin on there better. Felt better to the touch and looked a lot clearer.

14. mb2008 macrumors regular

If you are REALLY anal (like me!:D) here's what I do when I can't get Power Support at launch, which I have never been able to do because the Apple store runs out of accessories in 1 hour. I don't let the CSR rep unbox my phone. I bring a really small set of scissors and cut the top and bottom off the cling film so the home button and the speakers/sensors work. (Warning: at this point everyone in the store is looking at me like I'm a freak.) Generally I find a cheap silicone case that wraps over the home button and speakers, which has the added benefit of keeping the edges of the cling film from getting frayed. Leaving the cling on also has the added benefit of having the screen completely clean when you are ready to apply the shield.

I did this with the 3G and 3GS, and never had a problem using the phone. In fact, I left it this way with the 3G for almost a year.

I've used the Zagg and bodyshield at work, but I really am put off by the texture, so I will be doing this again next week for the 4. But I haven't seen any silicone cases that wrap around yet...

15. cherylzyx thread starter macrumors member

cherylzyx

Thank you all so much for the information, I really appreciate it. I've decided to wait for Power Support.