Screen protectors ridiculously overpriced.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TEHi, Feb 5, 2011.

?

Do you think famous brands screen protectors are overpriced?

1. Of course!! long live the $1 protectors!!!

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. A bit overpriced but I'm ok with the price.

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Over what? I bought the "I'm Rich" app full price.

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. TEHi, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011

TEHi macrumors regular

[Post has been editted by request of Mr. Sahil

Many would say that making screen protectors is not easy and will require a lots of R&D. I say that is bullsht. Download a computer software, design the screen protectors, send the file or prototype to china, a large automated manufacturing machine will produce hundreds per hour, and a row of 42 asian workers will pack 2 of them along with a tiny microfiber cloth in a plastic bag at an unbelievable speed. Production cost: less than 30 cents, when ordered in bulk. Have you seen discovery channel's "How it's made" show? well, thats how.

I have nothing against these companies, it is called profit margin, and consumerism. However, I would like to spread my word to all those people who are spending extra money to get the same stuff, and as well, and specially, to those who always recommends the most expensive stuff as the best.

Spend your money wisely!

:)

2. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

that ounces argument is stupid imo. I've tried everything from cheapo ebay to Power Support and Wrapsol. I can say the brand name ones are worth it. Power support shields are the easiest to install and have the best clarity.. Its expensive buts its worth it.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Personally, I'm fine with the cheapo eBay screen protectors. The ones I've gotten have been pretty good. I'd prefer to fork over money for a decent case rather than a screen protector. But, then again, I replace my protectors frequently so it makes sense for me to buy bulk :D

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Good thing we're not on the Moon, it'd be even more expensive per unit weight!

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The cost per weight? ... we are lucky cars do not run on Coca-Cola ... Gas is cheaper.

6. TEHi thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know what was that answer for, but the ink was still 4 times cheaper per ounce than expensive screen protectors.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The point of that post and most of the others is: Who cares? Get over it.

8. nushieldguy macrumors newbie

Not all screen protectors are the same

Most of you are right that screen protectors are overpriced. Especially the cheap ones that are made in China and you have to change them every month because they peel off or scratch. The reason is that retail stores mark up these items 120%.

The better screen protectors have additional layers of coating for glare, scratch, antifingerprint and installation adhesive. Running the raw film through the coating machine is expensive, even in China. Although there is no quality control in China and you get the poorest product from there.

So when you decide to buy a screen protector take a second to think what features you want to have. You can still buy a car without automatic brakes, door locks, standard shift and cloth seats. But do you really want to?