screen protectors SGP or PS ??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by johnny168, Sep 16, 2010.

1. johnny168 macrumors member

Hi forum, Im planning to get a new screen protector and the sgp and ps ones have really caught my eye. However, i wasnt able to find a review of all their products side by side for a comparison. I wanted to know everyones opnion about them! What their pro and cons are, if they bubble up with the use of a case, what they look and feel like, their cutouts, and which is simply the best protector! More info the better! Hopefully my curiousity will help others who also are looking to buy a screen protector find the right one for them!

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Are you planning to get a clear or matte screen? Or something in between?

How careful are you when it comes to installing products? Are you very meticulous or do you have a tendency to be a little clumsy sometimes?

Do you generally have a need to contact customer service after buying products?

3. iTechDude21 macrumors newbie

iTechDude21

SGP is the top of the line company for screen protectors

SGP in my knowledge and understanding, is the best screen protector and full body protector company out there. It far exceeds the quality of Zagg, BestSkinsEver, Bodyguardz, and other skin companies.

4. threezero macrumors 6502

Zagg, BestSkinsEver, Bodyguardz are all wet install and they all some to some degree that digusting tackiness. I don't think SGP have a wet install option yet?

Anyways from my past experience on the 3g clarity is equally good for both ps and sgp (crystal version). sgp's optical enhance crystal version, the one with the blue film imo is very good though, makes the color pop. But they don't seem to have that for the ip4.

PS imo is bit thicker and tougher than sgp, however the sgp i had were cut slightly smaller to accomadate a slider type case.

So for the ip4 i went for the PS. So far seems to be quite durable and its crystal clear. PS has a new 3 piece application system that is almost gurantee to have perfect installation.

having said that I recommend you buy a case from sgp that includes their protectors, imo its a lot better deal than the ps

5. johnny168 thread starter macrumors member

I am pretty careful and have enough patience!
    I want a screen protector that doesn't take away from the beautiful screen of the phone, so most likely a clear one!
    Also I don't really need to contact customer service.

6. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

If you're getting a clear screen then...

The SGP is slightly clearer than the PS (most people won't be able to tell the difference).

The SGP has a tighter cut than the PS in that there is not a lot of extra space around the home button and the speaker/camera BUT because of that is immensely more difficult to install.

SGP's customer service is really really bad. If you don't need customer service, then SGP is the better product, but if you do for some reason need it, then PS wins out because they have excellent customer service.

Be aware that both SGP and PS are prone to fingerprints and light scratches. If some fingerprints bother you then the SGP Oleophobic might be a better choice. If you can't stand fingerprints you might consider an anti-glare film set instead, in which case PS is the better product.

7. johnny168 thread starter macrumors member

What are all the different sgp and ps protectors they offer? Everything from their crystal stuff to sgp oleo?? Having a full list would be helpful! :)

8. beedish macrumors member

SGP is great and I would recommend them if you're not a perfectionist. All of their protectors I've had, have had rough edges (still adhered though) and could have been cut better. Clarity is 10/10. Looking at the screen you never know it's there.

I currently have the PS and IMO the cut and quality is 100x better. Grease from your fingers is tougher to get off, but overall a dependable protector. Feels thicker than the SGP but not by much. I feel like this is a long term protector whereas the SGP I would be replacing every 6 months or so.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either.

I had the SGP Ultra Crystal and the PS Crystal.

9. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

+1 on the PS crystal! ive had it on my ipod touch 2g since day 1 and ive never had any problems with it.

10. hoonu macrumors regular

11. johnny168 thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to make sure. The sgp protectors are a smaller cut. So there's a tiny gap from the edge of the phone to the screen protector?

12. cecoleman macrumors regular

Seriously... look no further than the SGP Crystal screen... its awesome. I've showed to others... and they are amazed because they can't even tell that I have a screen protector on it. It's that clean. No bubbles, no lint, and a perfect fit.

13. felch macrumors member

I went from zagg to SGP ultra clear to SGP ultra oilephobic. I hated the zagg. I can't tell the difference between the clear and oilephobic honestly. It's easier to clean but both are as slick as naked and just as clear.

They are a pain to install tho since the cutout around the home button is exact. There is maybe .5mm room for error if that.

14. johnny168 thread starter macrumors member

Is there really a difference in the screen clarity between oleophobic and the crystal? Theoretically, the crystal SHOULD be clearer? Which ones better? pros and cons?

15. cecoleman macrumors regular

I had both as my wife asked for the oleophobic whereas I ordered the crystal for myself. Once I installed them both, after a while she asked for one like mine. She felt that the oleophobic actually collected more oil from her fingers and couldn't figure out why mine was so resistant to finger prints. I couldn't believe the difference myself. The oleophobic wiped off easier, but at the same time seem to show more finger prints. I would go Crystal every time in seeing them side by side.

16. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

not true

I have both

both are equally clear, the crystal is just a bit thicker.

Try using wax with the Oleophobic, im still amazed how fingerprint free it stays with a bit of wax on it ( make sure to use synthetic wax like Meguiars NXT 2.o)

I tried the wax with the crystal, and it does work a bit, but fingerprints return a lot faster

This leads me to believe that the SGP Oleo really does have a coating on it, and its not just some marketing fluff

17. circularforward macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing. I have the SGP crystal and frequently wished I had gotten the oleophobic instead. But after reading your experience, I guess I wouldn't have benefited any from having the oleophobic.

18. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

I heard the oleophobic one becomes unbearably scratched up after a few days.

19. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

I think that really varies. Some have indeed said that they get all sorts of scratches after a little while but then for people like me, there were only a couple after a month or two. It's a good protector but after a lot of extensive use it does seem to lose whatever coating it has and fingerprints and oil build up excessively and become very hard to wipe away.

20. cecoleman macrumors regular

I will confirm that my wife's oleophobic screen did scratch some. That was the straw that broke the camels back for her. That's what led her to ask me for my extra crystal shield.

21. Ever34 macrumors regular

I get that everyone wants to retain the wow effect of the retina display. After trying the oleo, the ultra crystal etc...the fingerprints and oil smudges were just to much for me...almost in gross territory (oleo is the worse). A couple days with the PS antiglare and there is no going back. Sure, screen quality is a little diminished but honestly after a couple days you get used to it and for me me the pro's definitely outweigh the con's.

22. arcturuz macrumors member

i on the switcheasy antiglare and they are awesome and cheaper than these 2 brands :p