Screen protectors.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Crazyj414, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Crazyj414 macrumors regular

Crazyj414

Rant coming!

Why why why why why can't I put them on correctly the first time!!! I've already gone through like 6!

Lol. I'm aware it's operator error but still frustrating.

2. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I'm on the same page. Can't install them for the life of me. I'm going to try to install an edge-to-edge this time around. Sounds easier then then regular one's that are just wide enough to cover the viewing screen area of the iPhone.

3. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I wish you guys were in NH. I love the challenge of doing a great install. Seriously my family and coworkers come to me with their screen protectors.

4. Crazyj414 thread starter macrumors regular

Crazyj414

Me too!!! Tried again today. It's crooked and has a few specks of dust underneath lol

5. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

For some odd reason on one occasion, I took the film SP that came with my moms otter box commuter case and installed it perfectly on her Galaxy S5. It was very random and the first attempt was flawless. Then again, that screen is completely flat.

6. Zombiecrowd macrumors regular

I would love to see a poll on this topic along with age. I would be willing to bet the vast majority of people who have trouble are ages 37-40 and over

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Haha. I'm almost 60, with steady hands and love the challenge of installing screen protectors. iPads are even more fun. I have no issue with getting perfect or pretty darn near perfect installations every time. I have a whole steamy bathroom technique where I look like I'm going in for surgery but it works. So don't count the grandmas out. :)

8. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Is there a specific trick anyone uses to line these up? I guess it's more difficult with black iPhones since you cannot see the outline of the viewable part of the screen to line up the S/P.

9. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I use the steamy bathroom to keep the dust down. Then use a tape lint roller to make sure every speck of dust is gone. When I get the protector ready, I use heavy duty clear shipping tape to hold it so I can lower the protector down close to the screen to carefully align it. The addition of the shipping tape helps me to guide the screen protector down without touching the edges. I find that even if my fingernail touches an edge, that edge never adheres perfectly.

For the alignment I use the home button and the top speaker to center.

10. Zombiecrowd macrumors regular

Just do it under a bright light like kitchen table or something. Turn phone sideways like landscape and line up one side home button and other side cutout for speaker.

Important. Right before you put it on and after you wipe down screen well but make sure to take some tape and dab the screen all over it takes dust you can't see off. Some protectors come with dust tape otherwise use scotch. Dust tap screen is last thing you do before putting screen shield on. Don't wipe it after dust tape.

11. Spine Doc macrumors newbie

To help with seeing dust that u cant see under normal light, I find it best to take a flashlight perpindicular to the phone (tangental lighting) and leave it on during installation to really see dust u would not otherwise see. U will be surprised that when u think its all clean, this method will still show some dust u would of missed.