Screen quality/Lightroom performance MB versus MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nautigar, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Nautigar macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I am really tempted to buy the new MB 13" to replace my old and loyal PB12".

So I went to the Gravis Store (Germany) to have a look at it, and although I like the design, construction, weight, trackpad ..., I was a bit underwhelmed by the quality of the screen. OK, it is better than the one on my PB, but not that much better.

Unfortunately, the store did not have the new MPBs on display yet.

So my first questions is: Has anyone seen the new MB and new MBP side by side and can tell how much better the quality (contrast, blacks, viewing angle) of the MPB screen is? Actually, I would prefer the size and weight of the MB.

My second question is: Has anyone used Adobe Lightroom on a MBP and can tell how fast it is? (It is almost unusable on my PB 12".) Will it profit from the discrete GPU, i.e. run faster if the discrete GPU is enabled?

Thanks everybody in advance,

Matthias.

2. goobimama macrumors regular

Just so you know, there is a world of a difference between the screen quality of a MacBook Pro and a MacBook. Not sure about the MacBook Air. If you want work seriously with Aperture, then I'd say MacBook Pro it is.

3. photoGrant macrumors member

4. Nautigar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the first Lightroom-specific reply! :) Could you please check whether there is a difference in speed depending on whether the discrete GPU is enabled? Thanks in advance!

Matthias.

5. photoGrant macrumors member

The difference is negligible, Thumbnails take a second or so longer overall to load, and browsing the library can get a little 'jaggedy'.

With the GPU enabled, it's plain sailing, mate. Although I'd go far as to say that you'll see a much higher performance gain with a RAM Upgrade.

6. Nautigar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! What is the current configuration of your MBP? 2GB, 2.4 GHz, HDD?

7. photoGrant macrumors member

Yeah 2.4Ghz, 2GB Ram, 250GB 5400 RPM.

The previous Macbook Pro I had was the same spec, aside for 4GB Ram and the 8600 GT.

Adobe Photoshop CS4 uses the GPU to offload a lot of the CPU intensive stuff, filters, etc. - which makes speeds really, really slick - But Lightroom doesn't harbor that technology yet.

8. rjp macrumors regular

Can't help you with the new machines, but I did do extensive colorimeter tests comparing the previous generation MB and MBP and the MBP had better color accuracy (lower delta E) and higher contrast ratio (600:1 vs 220:1). I would bet the screens haven't changed much, but who knows. The gizmodo article can attest to the decreased viewing angle, which also agrees with my observations for the previous gen products.