Screen quality new MB versus new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nautigar, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Nautigar macrumors regular

Hello all,

I'd really like to get the new MB 13" to replace my loyal, but 5-year old PowerBook 12" 1GHz, mainly because Lightroom is almost unusable speedwise.

Today I had a first look at it in a store (Germany), and while I really like the design and build quality, I was underwhelmed by the quality of the LCD. Glossy versus matte isn't that big issue for me, but the contrast looked poor, the blacks weren't great, and the contrast was very viewing-angle-dependant. I tried to calibrate the screen with Apple's assistant, but this made things only a little better. Since I want to use the MBA for on-site photo-editing, this is a serious issue. (Even the screen of the MBA looked better.)

Unfortunately, they did not have the new MBP yet, so I could not do any side-by-side comparisons. So has anybody here seen them side-by-side? Is the LCD of the MBP a lot better?

Thanks for your advice,

Matthias.

2. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

Yes, the new MBP LCD is indeed a lot better than the one on the new MB, all around better too, not just resolution and size. better contrast, better viewing angle etc... check out this review here for pictures of the two screens side by side.

3. pufftissue macrumors regular

The new aluminum macbook screen is superior to the old plastic macbook screen. Unfortunately, it's not as good as the mbp screens of old or new.

The screen would still be a "good" screen in most people's books, but it is apple's lowest tier notebook for a reason. The macbook air and the macbook pro screens are most certainly visibly better. You can't get a better screen in any computer than the ones in the mbp and mba ( in my opinion), although you could find its equal (maybe the lenovo T400 led screen and the Sony Z series screens). You can undoubtedly find better screens than the one in the new aluminum macbook.

4. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I have to agree, Im returning mine tomorrow, although it is a great little baby, just not amazing like the pro. Maybe Im screen size buyist but the negative black is a bit annoying!
    You can only view the screen properly from one angle, straight on!
    If you move slightly, it spoils the viewing experience and becomes tier-some.
    Black text looks weird and mess's with my eyes, 3D.
    Also its not something we are used to, or even care to live with. What ever happened to 360/20' degree viewing angles :rolleyes:

PS the screen is slightly washed out and extremely negative black in the other spectrum. Lacks depth.
    Glass is very distracting on the eye and strains the eyes!!!! Can't be good for my eye health?

The screen needs constant cleaning and distorts the colors for aperture and iphoto editing. ???

Couldn't they just have a glass bessle and matt screen like on the white Pro iMac's.

Hang on while I just remove some hair from my screen LOL!

5. johnsy macrumors 6502

Screen of glass macbook is WAY better than classic, plastic macbook's. Is it better than old mbp? I would say it depends. If you would compare old glossy and new glass I think glass wins. It is brighter and colors are more vibrant. However as for color accuracy I would say that macbook has room for improvement. I would suggest external monitor for any critical work. If you just going to use it for random family pictures it will be fine.

I think that matte screen of mbp is better than glass mb. I personally would have purchased new glass macbook, but bought classic (older generation) mbp. Glass screen didn't stopped me at all. I find that smaller screen even it is glossy is less distracting than big one. Just take big mirror and small and compare- smaller mirror can be adjusted for certain angle so it doesn't distract you. Can't say the same about big mirror. What stopped me from purchase was lack of firewire. I still see current mb as PRO product, so fw had to stay. Plus I didn't liked no button trackpad.