iPad Screen recorder?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Redjericho, May 26, 2012.

1. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Has anybody tried to use any type of screen recorder on the iPad 3? I don't see how it would really work with the insane resolution.

2. Sylon, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I havent seen any yet.

Edit: I have found one, and while the interface is iPad compatible, the app itself doesn't seem to be working. It's called Display Recorder. It works with the iPhone and old iPads (at least it does on my old 1st gen iPad). It only records in portrait mode, but iMovie can rotate videos for you. No audio either. It's pretty decent. Hopefully they can get it working with the new iPad, even at a lowered resolution.

3. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I got Display Recorder to work on the new iPad!!!

I had to fiddle with some of the settings, and its a pain in the ass to get the video itself. But, it is possible. Here is what I did.

After install, go to the iPad's settings and select Display Recorder. Change the Video Format to MJPEG (which records in .avi), and I recommend the video quality to be set to Low. You can try Medium, however High won't work at all. You will not get audio with this, and H.264/MOV will not work at all. It throws an error.

I changed the rotation to Landscape Left and Landscape Right and both times the video came out upside down. I'll continue to fiddle with that one.

Now, its gets tricky after you make a recording. Because unless you upload it straight to YouTube, you cannot view or extract the video from within the app itself. You can try to move it with iFile into a folder for a video player to attempt to play, but its a hassle in itself. I used iExplorer, and searched for the file. Its in a secret spot that they hoped no one would find. But I did :)

Device/root/private/var/mobile/Library/Keyboard/DisplayRecorder/

Yeah, keyboard, lol. That told me they wanted to hide it. Anyway, I used iExplorer to extract the file onto my Mac and played it with VLC Media Player. And like I said, it always played upside down. But, even in low quality, the video is actually pretty decent. The iPad isn't very snappy though while recording, so keep that in mind.

But I hope this helps. It is possible to record the screen from the new iPad 3, using Display Recorder, iExplorer, and some sort of video editing software to flip it.

4. Redjericho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very cool! I'll try it out.

Haha, keyboard, I wonder what they were hiding.

5. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

While I've managed to get the screen to record doing basic stuff, the screen recorder struggles to record anything mildly intensive. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that, even on Low setting, Display Recorder is recording all of the 2048x1528 screen. Thats a bit of a tall order and was probably never designed to handle such a screen. Not to mention, I haven't found any video editing software that can export in such a resolution yet. Handbrake will convert the files from .avi to .mp4 without losing the video size.

6. Sylon, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Sorry for the double post, but I just found out they pushed an update. Display Recorder now supports the new iPad. I just tested it out and everything works great! With the exception of, well, it still records upside-down, lol. No idea why, but at least we're moving in the right direction. Happy recording :)

EDIT: Setting the orientation to Landscape Right (with the home button on your right side) will allow the video to record right-side up. And using the recording method with audio recording, and cranking up your volume, will allow for some game audio recording. However, I've noticed in-game music is muted, but sound FXs are still there. I've only tested this app on Low and Medium settings and both are pretty decent.

7. BerGaur macrumors regular

BerGaur

I want to get this app, but I have a hesitation. I don't believe in jail breaking, but for this app I think it might be worth it. My one and only hesitation is: Being that it is 5 bucks right now, once iOS 6 comes out and I restore to default in order to update, will I have to buy it all over again, or is there some form of back up or memory (like what lagitamit apps have) where I can download it again, but for free this time, or just reinstall it from back up?

8. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

You shouldn't have to repurchase it. When you buy a tweak/app on Cydia, it is linked to your Facebook account and your Amazon account (IIRC, I haven't bought anything new from Cydia in a while, I'm pretty happy with my tweaks as of now). So, when you jailbreak later, you should just have to go back to the tweak/app, link your FB/Amazon accounts again and simply redownload it. Someone else here might have more info on it though.

9. Redjericho thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's basically the exact same thing as legitimate apps have, you will not have to buy it again.

10. BerGaur macrumors regular

BerGaur

So you have been able to update your firmware, rejailbreake and get your apps back without paying again?

P.S. "The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak."

Your avatar is awesome!

----------

You posted that while I was in the reply screen. I promise I'm not an idiot :rolleyes:.

Thank You

11. BerGaur macrumors regular

BerGaur