Screen recording of Windows apps in Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JonL12345, Jun 12, 2013.

1. JonL12345, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

JonL12345 macrumors regular

May 21, 2012
    I have Parallels 8 where I run Windows 7. I want to create some training videos of some Windows applications and am unsure on what software to get to do the recordings.

I am wondering if I should be getting some OSX software that records screens and use that, but then again I don't know if it would work on the Parallels screen or indeed if its the best solution.

What would you recommend and why?

2. EricT43 macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2011
    I think it might be better to run the Windows app in non-seamless mode and use a screen capture program for Windows. I've used Camtasia in Windows with good results.
  3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    I used Screenflow to capture and edit some video tutorials for installing backup software on Windows server 2008, running under Parallels and it worked very well.

Screenflow is a great App as it also has some great editing tools as well. I captured in screenflow and did the majority of the editing in it as well. Some of the animated title sequences I did in Apple motion, but then imported these into the Screenflow project.
  4. droo macrumors member

May 1, 2011
    You can use the built in quicktime player to record the screen - no need to spend money on a 3rd party app :)