Screen recording of Windows apps in Parallels

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I have Parallels 8 where I run Windows 7. I want to create some training videos of some Windows applications and am unsure on what software to get to do the recordings.

I am wondering if I should be getting some OSX software that records screens and use that, but then again I don't know if it would work on the Parallels screen or indeed if its the best solution.

What would you recommend and why?

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:

EricT43

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
I think it might be better to run the Windows app in non-seamless mode and use a screen capture program for Windows. I've used Camtasia in Windows with good results.

James Craner

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I used Screenflow to capture and edit some video tutorials for installing backup software on Windows server 2008, running under Parallels and it worked very well.

Screenflow is a great App as it also has some great editing tools as well. I captured in screenflow and did the majority of the editing in it as well. Some of the animated title sequences I did in Apple motion, but then imported these into the Screenflow project.

droo

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
You can use the built in quicktime player to record the screen - no need to spend money on a 3rd party app :)

Droo