screen recording

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zygezund, Sep 4, 2012.

1. zygezund macrumors newbie

I made a screen recording with quickTime player and wanted to put it on youtube.

The recording was great, but huge. 1 minute of my 27' screen made 500 MB. The lower quality recording made 25 MB, which is still not acceptable.

I downloaded a third party application, which transfers it into mp4. The size was good, but the quality was horrible. It was appropriate for movies, but not for computer screen, as it was impossible to read the text on screen.

However, it is obvious, that a typical screen recording [until it is just a regular movie running] may be significantly reduced in size without loosing quality.

1. A computer screen is essentially static - just very small amount of it changes in time. E.g. 10 letters may be changed for a second, while the whole screen stays the same.
    2. Big monotonous areas occupy the most part of the screen.

So I believe that there should exist codecs, which rely on this specifics. Besides there are a lot of videos on Youtube, of reasonable size, where the text on screen can be read easily.

What are that codecs, what apps are available?

Please help.

tia

2. simsaladimbamba

As far as I know, there are no special codecs for that, and even if, YouTube uses H.264 as codec anyway, no matter what codec you use.
    When I make screen recordings via ScreenFlow, I use a 1280 x 800 display resolution and crop it to 1280 x 720, since YouTube is not kind enough to offer 16:10 resolutions.

Have you tried HandBrake yet?

Or even simpler, the QT > Share > YouTube feature?

Btw, you recorded a display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixel, depending on who watches that, not everyone will be able to watch it in full resolution*.
    Does your screen recording need to be that big in resolution?

* That is why I chose 1280 x 720 for my YouTube videos (tutorials and such), where everything is readable and almost everyone can watch it (older Macs with lower resolutions and less CPU power, which would crumble under 1080p).

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.