Screen Recording?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by blackosx, Jun 27, 2008.

1. blackosx macrumors member

Im trying to implement a tutorial video of me showing people how our site works. However what screen recording programs are for osx that you guys recommend. I know camtasia studio is one of them, but what else?

thankyou!

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Snapz Pro can do it, I picked it up in one of those bundle promotions and have found it quite handy.

3. Luveno macrumors member

Luveno

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If you don't want to spend money and have a DV cam lying around, just hook your computer to that and record :D

5. blackosx thread starter macrumors member

i have snapz pro..it came with the macheist bundle. I didnt know it also records in real time...does it also let you record your voice? im gonna try messing with it today. thanx

6. Luveno macrumors member

Luveno

Snapz will let you specify which audio sources to capture. You can record your mac's audio track, or a microphone's input. Handy for narrating a screencast.

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Snap Pro X is the best program I've ever seen. Ever.

Im sad to say I payed money for "Screen Movie Recorder"

That one makes you hit F8 to begin, slows down the computer dramatically, records it's movie -- then you must hit F8 or select stop from the menu bar. At that point the dock freezes, and the program stops responding.

It would sometimes output a movie file, but most of the time it was lost in the forcefull quit.

Snap Pro X is simple to use, records easily, and then makes a movie file. The dock doesn't freeze, and there is no huge memory problem. The .mov file is usually huge (GB in size), a quick run through Visual Hub and that is fixed.

One thing that was a problem at first, turned out to work even better for me than before. Snap Pro X uses the default Command+Shift+3 to open. This effectively stopped me from quickly capturing screen shots, as I would have to open it, select "full screen" then tell it to take a snapshot. (rather than just hitting command+shift+3)

There is a handy AppleScript in the application folder (for snap pro x) that takes an instant snapshot. Using this applescript with keyboad maestro, all I have to do is hit F16 now -- and I have a screen shot on my desktop.

I just have to say I'm very impressed with this program.