Screen refresh rate of future iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Baumlol, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Baumlol macrumors newbie

Baumlol

Have you ever compared a 60 Hz monitor with a 144 Hz monitor? In my opinion they are poles apart. 144 Hz just looks a lot smoother than 60 Hz and I think it's more comfortable for the eye.

As far as I know iPhone screens do have a fixed refresh rate of 60 Hz. Do you think there is any chance that Apple will increase the screen refresh rate?

Of course there would be apps which take a lot of performance so they wouldn't run on 144 Hz. But there could be an option for developers to limit the frame rate to a specific value. I think on iOS itself 144 Hz would be really cool and Apple would be the first company with this technology on a smartphone (and tablet).

What do you think?

2. Newtons Apple, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

It seems good enough for me. Any more would only use more battery. Do not see a lot of users here complaining about the refresh rate.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

4. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Never used a monitor more than 60 so don't know how it would feel but the current 60 looks perfectly good to me

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Weird, even years and years ago with CRT monitors I'd always bump up the refresh rate to at least 75.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I've never used a 144hz monitor but I'd love to. I am a "smoothness" snob and I feel that I'm pretty good at picking out framerate differences, I'm sure 144hz looks awesome.

However, I don't think these phones are powerful enough to push everything at 144hz at all times, especially because of the somewhat sloppy OS we call iOS. And the extra battery consumption from refreshing over 100% more often.. Maybe when technology improves more.

7. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Doesn't the iPad Pro screen dynamicly change refresh rates on the fly and based off what you're doing? 240 when the Pencil is active and can go as low as 30 of all you're doing is looking at for example, email?

8. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

IPadPro vary from 30Hz to 60Hz:
    http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/design/

Variable Refresh Rate
    For the first time in any of our devices, iPad Pro knows when the content on your screen is static and cuts the refresh rate in half, to 30 times per second instead of 60. This means that the screen isn’t just big, beautiful, and bright. It’s also incredibly energy efficient.​

There is going to be severe power/battery taxing of any GPU need to support 240Hz, or even 120Hz.
    Battery life will drop like crazy, then there is heat issue.
    There is no way iPhone or maybe iPad will go above 60Hz, not until next generation of battery design, specially with Apple's obsession with thinner iPhone/iPad from one to next gen.

9. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

What they don't say in their variable refresh rate paragraph though is that it does and can ramp up to 240hz for the Pencil to minimize latency.

10. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

If it is probably just localize to where Pencil is touching screen, doubt it will ramp up to 240Hz for full screen, which will tax GPU power and battery life.