Screen Repair

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pdjudd, May 19, 2009.

1. pdjudd macrumors 601

A bit of background:

Back in January I slipped on some ice and regrettably the LCD on my Blackbook did not survive. I have been making due with my computer plugged into a video out (A real pain to do work on) but I really want to get the darn thing fixes. I was really stupid and did not get the Apple Care (which likely would not cover this repair anyway).

Upon taking the laptop to Apple they quoted 800 to replace the unit with a refurb since it was well out of warranty. Everything but the LCD works just fine so I was wondering about getting a replacement screen and doing the repair or sending it out to another company.. My question:

1) What is your opinion on doing this (I cannot replace the whole laptop and I have a 2.16 C2D), is it really worth it? Is this a big repair job?
    2) What price should I be looking at. These guys have the screen for $150 but I don't know if they are any good nor do I know of anybody who will do this. Is it something that can be done on my own (i would have a friend assist me). I am not bound to one vendor, but I have never had to do out of warranty repairs on a mac before so I don;t know where to go.
    3) Any advice on where I should get the screen at or do business?
    4) Am I just wasting my time?

THe reason I ask is that I really cannot afford a new machine right now, but if I can fix the screen like new for around $200 that would be much better. Any advice would be grateful.

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

3. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

Thats the trick, I really don't know if this is something that I would be capable of doing. My friend has replaced screens on macs before (it was the mac Book pro). I was kind of hoping for a rating on how difficult it was on a scale of 1-10 (where 1 is replacing the battery and 10 would be an all out logic board replacement) type of rating. I really don't want to have to send it out if the process is relatively strait forward.

Another question - since I might have the choice, should I go glossy or matte (assuming its the same price). I am not a photoshop person nor am I really knowledgeable about things like color depth or the like - I just want a simple opinion on what is best (I have never seen the mattes in use before, all I see is glossy)

Again, thanks.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Check my signature. If you lived anywhere in NY, I could have came to you and do it in ten minutes for $170. If not, I'm still stupidly affordable, you can see from my eBay feedback that this is what I do with a flawless record.

If you want to do it yourself, don't get ripped off buying the LCD from any site that charges $149. Buy it here, for under eighty bucks. It is the same LCD Apple uses, you will get shipped a Samsung model which is commonly used in the blackbooks. Apple uses LG Philips, Samsung, and AU Optronics in the 2006-2008 13.3" Macbooks. I used them as a supplier, they used to offer great discounts for quantity buys.

I will walk you through the process over the phone for free if you are interested and have the proper tools and patience required, my phone number can be found in the site in my signature. There are tons of little details the screenintek guide leaves out. If you're going to do it yourself and have never taken this machine apart before, I'd love to assist you in not butchering it. The issue with guides is either

a) they clearly have forgotten what it was like to do their first repair and leave out tons of little details.

b) they're idiots and are doing things the long way around or the long way, leaving out tips along the way on how to PROPERLY complete the step they are instructing you to take.

I know from having once listened to them.

iBrokeit's guide tells you how to replace the entire display assembly which is costly, unnecessary, and time consuming.

Simply put - it is simple, but your first time will not be. Everyone has something they will suck at when doing it for the first time. If you're doing it yourself for the learning experience and curiousity, go for it! If you're doing it yourself because you want it done quicker with less hassle, then someone else might be in order.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

6. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the input. I might take you up on the offer should it come up (I just got a quote back from the other guys and it came up to $250), but I have a friend that has done screen repairs before so I will see what could be done.

What is your opinion on getting a matte versus glossy?

ETA: What tools will I need - I have some small screwdrivers that I used before, but I want to make sure I am prepared.

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I think they both suck too much to be worth worrying about it on consumer laptops. I've never seen a consumer laptop with an impressive LCD. I am not a fan of lower end LCDs in any application compared to a good CRT. I miss depth of color and real blacks.

You need electrical tape to replace the tape that holds the cables to the screen. Don't reuse the old tape, too many people do this. Have a tiny philips screwdriver, and a place to hold 2 separate kinds of screws. Have something like a flathead screwdriver from an eyeglass screwdriver kit to pull off the clips that keep the bezel attached to the frame.

8. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

Great. Standard electrical tape will work just fine then?

9. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

OK, before I go out and buy the scree, does anybody have any suggestions on who can do the installation locally in Minnesota? I want to make sure I clear out all my options before I bite the bullet and buy the screen? I would appreciate any suggestions that people would have since I don't want to be away from my Mac for long (as in not wanting to send it out).

Thanks.

ETA: I am not afraid to go on this on my own, however I just want a backup in case it looks like I am going over my head real quick.

10. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

Just to close out the thread, I got the screen, and performed about 8 hours of grueling and exhaustive surgery to install the screen. With one exception (I need to adjust the dvd drive since discs are getting stuck - that will be taken care of this weekend) everything works spectacularly. It was very difficult to do, but a great experience. Hopefully I can eek a couple more years off the laptop before I will replace it.

Thanks for all the advice.

11. malbert75 macrumors newbie

Further help needed

I am in the same boat as you and am looking to replace my Macbook lcd screen. I have seen lcd's on ebay for around 70 to 80 and also on amazon here. I am not sure who I should purchase the screen from. I also noticed some of the screens come with the "inverter cable". Do I need that or is that something that can be taken from the original cracked display? I have found some good detailed instructions on how to do this I am just unsure as to the best place to get it. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The inverter cable is sticking out of the LCD. No CCFL backlit LCD manufacturer in their right mind doesn't include the inverter cable, it runs up the LCD and terminates at a connector outside the LCD.

This is currently the best deal for someone buying one LCD at a time. Don't buy any LED LCDs from them, as they get confused between the LP154WP2TLA1 and LP154WP2TLC2 frequently, and send out LCDs that are not compatible with what they claim it will be compatible with. Their compatibility information is also useless.

However, they do offer the original model, in mint condition, in good packaging, at the cheapest price for those buying one at a time. For the LP133WX1(TL)(A1), I highly recommend them.

13. malbert75 macrumors newbie

One more question

So thanks for the response but the one you linked to on ebay said it doesn't come with the inverter cable so it seems like that is no good. Will that one on amazon or this one work as well?

14. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I don't think that got through. Let me quote again.

The inverter cable is not an option. It's strung all the way up the LCD, Every LP133WX1(TL)(A1) is manufactured with an inverter cable coming out of it with the proper connector.

Some suppliers include an inverter board extension cable, which is in 99.999% of all cases absolutely unnecessary. The Macbook laptops fit this profile.

Also, the link I provided didn't say they don't include the inverter cable, it says it doesn't include the inverter. These are two different things entirely. The cable is a part that goes from the backlight on the LCD to a wire that terminates at a small plastic connector. This plugs into the inverter board, a piece on your Macbook that powers the backlight in the LCD.

The inverter cable(technically, since you're not supposed to open it to remove the backlight) is not a removable item. It is not like an IEC cord for a piece of gear. It's like the cord for a lamp. It runs all the way up the lamp.

I am worried for your Macbook.

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

HILARIOUS!!! :D