Screen replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Patriks7, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Hello :)

I would like some advice whether what I want to attempt is possible (or worthwhile).

I have two white MacBooks at home (bought late 2007). One of them has been acting up a bit after a glass of water was unfortunately spilled into it, even though new RAM and an SSD gave it a new life, it will still sometimes crash. The other Macbook seems to be in perfect working condition (also with upgraded RAM and SSD), but the screen is very very dim in comparison to the other one.

So do you guys think it would be possible for me to swap out the displays between the two of them? So that I can have one perfectly working machine and can retire the other one.

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

Sure why not? This will require disassembling the top case to remove the display.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Swap the entire lid of the units, don't try to remove the LCD from the lid. You can find instructions at Www.ifixit.com.

4. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Thanks, that actually doesn't look as difficult as I thought! So it should just be plug and play, or will I have to set something up when I connect the new display?

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you properly connect a good LCD, and properly re connect the antenna and camera cables, all should be well. There is nothing special you have to do on the OS level.

6. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Awesome, thanks a lot for the help!