Screen Replacements - Vendor Suggestions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itommyboy, Jul 24, 2010.

1. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Ladies and gentleman,

I need to order a screen (glass only) for all of my iPhones. First gen, 3G and 3GS. I see many vendors online all with similar pricing structures.

Curious if anyone has used any of these shops and who might come regarded the best? Any suggestions from people who have first hand experience with any of these shops very much appreciated.

Also, do I dare get suckered into the "extra" tools like the screen removal suction cup, case opener, screw driver and adhesive strips?

TIA. ~Tommy

PS - yes I know it's time for me to start using bumpers! ;)

2. brdnboy macrumors regular

I don't know how familiar you are with replacing the glass/digitizer on iPhones, but the 1st gen is a huge PITA/ nearly impossible. The 3G and 3GS are the same exact process (slightly diff parts) and it is pretty straight forward. You should be able to get a digitizer for about $10-12 on ebay for both the 3G and 3GS and yes, you will want the adhesive and basic tools (usually included anyway). Apple genuine digitizers will be harder to come by, but the OEM replacement parts on ebay all are reliable and compatible. Any of the top rated sellers on ebay would be a great option.

3. itommyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Thanks Brd. I'm not an ebay'er but I guess it's time to jump in. We used to live in Boulder (Gods Country) for about 4 years and miss it every....single....day....buy one for yourself on me down on Pearl somewhere! :)