Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macprobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
hello,
i found a post in the gaming section of this forum and thought that this section might be more likely to get me a response. my apologies if i've broken a rule by posting this here also.

the following is the post to which i replied:

Hi All,

Don't know where else to post this.

The problem I have is that my Mac desktop resized after force quitting WOW. Now the desktop is larger than my computer screen and moves around (very annoying) when I move the cursor. WOW screen is sized correctly when playing the game. I have returned to the game and tried to change the Video display options, without any success.

I have tried changing the screen resolution, deleting various .plist files (library>display), and checking the System Preferences>Accounts>StartUp Items (nothing was added).

I also rebooted. The desktop picture looks fine initially, then after a couple of seconds, it jumps to a larger size when the aliases (shortcuts) load. I am guessing that a java script is loading.

I have other users on this computer and their desktops are unaffected by this. I would hate to have to uninstall WOW, but will probably quit the game instead of dealing with this issue.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you know how to turn it off?

Thanks in advance.

and this is my question:

hi,
i'm having the exact same issues with regard to desktop resizing, as well as blurred pixels, on a macbook that shutdown when the battery died. i tried resetting the pram and ran applejack on the machine, but was not able to resolve the issue. i have noticed that the desktop is rendered properly when it initially loads, but then after a second or so it seems to pop and expand.

any help would be great.
thanks

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
hello,
i found a post in the gaming section of this forum and thought that this section might be more likely to get me a response. my apologies if i've broken a rule by posting this here also.

the following is the post to which i replied:

Hi All,

Don't know where else to post this.

The problem I have is that my Mac desktop resized after force quitting WOW. Now the desktop is larger than my computer screen and moves around (very annoying) when I move the cursor. WOW screen is sized correctly when playing the game. I have returned to the game and tried to change the Video display options, without any success.

I have tried changing the screen resolution, deleting various .plist files (library>display), and checking the System Preferences>Accounts>StartUp Items (nothing was added).
The symptom you describe is similar to zooming. You can control zooming by holding the <control> key down and scrolling the mouse.

macprobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
thanks very much! that did it. took me three days of researching, then one post gets me the answer.
much appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.