Screen resolution on external monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fritzov, Jan 23, 2009.

1. fritzov macrumors member

I got my new MBP 15" and tried to attach a external drive but i could only i could not set the resolution as high as i use to be able to when i used my windows computer.

I used to be able to set it into 1920×1080 but on the MBP the highest i can set is i think 1680×1050.

How do i set it higher?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. fritzov thread starter macrumors member

Not sure bit i think it is 1920×1080

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could try Googling the manufacturer and model number.

5. fritzov thread starter macrumors member

Yes it looks like it's only 1680x1050 and that is the max resolution i can choose on osx.

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Are you trying to change the resolution of the built-in screen or an external monitor (I am guessing external drive really means external monitor)? If it is an external monitor, how are you connecting it (Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort or MiniDisplayPort to DVI or VGA)? If the monitor used to be connected to a Windows machine, I am guessing you are not doing native DisplayPort (I am also guessing you have one of the new Unibody MBPs). It may be worth asking Apple support if their Mini DisplayPort to whatever you are using for your monitor has a display resolution cap, if not there are tools like SwitchResX to manually set display parameters for a monitor that OS X doesn't detect correctly.