Screen resolution settings for mbp connected to 40 inch Sony Bravia TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macgrl, Mar 8, 2009.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I have got the cables and connectors that I need to connect my mbp to my tv via the tv's hdmi port. My question is what settings should the mbp screen resolution be set to in order to get the best picture quality / size when playing itunes tv shows? Also what setting should the tv be on as you have the option of widescreen. 4:3, smart etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to use the tv as the only monitor, not a dual monitor at the same time as the mbp one.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Whatever the TV says it supports. Look in your manual. The aspect ratio settings of the TV will not be a factor when you have a computer hooked up to it - that's up to the computer.

3. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you very much for your reply. Glad that I now know what to do. :)

4. virtuatony macrumors regular

I own a 40" Bravia XBR6 and I've connected my Late 2008 Macbook pro through minidisplay port to dvi adapter with a dvi to hdmi cable. The resolution automagically sets to 1920x1080, it only lets me do 1080i that way though which is weird. Since I can hook my mac pro with the dvi to hdmi cable and it gets 1080p. I guess you could use the vga port but things don't look as good and it doesn't let you change many of the picture adjustments that way.

I have Wide Mode set to Full with Display Area set to Full Pixel

Also to use it as the main monitor just connect another mouse and keyboard, close the macbook pro while it's connected to the TV, and wake it up by pressing the keyboard or moving the mouse.