Screen saver bug?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by AlliFlowers, Oct 28, 2014.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Is anyone else seeing this? I change my screen saver to my own photos, and before ya know it, we're back to the Nat Geo screen saver. I can't seem to get away from it. It's driving me crazy.

2. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

Yes, that is the same problem I have. I change to iPhoto Events and after awhile it is back to National Geographic

3. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

yep.... me, too! i even deleted the damned national geographics photos and it still goes back to them... but then just tells me file can't be found... :rolleyes::mad:

4. apleifer macrumors newbie

Yup, same here... and I can't seem to figure out what triggers the bug either. Restarting the Mac seems to have no effect.

5. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Guess it's time to submit a bug report. I'll even share this thread. :)

6. paulverkruissen macrumors newbie

Same here. Upgraded MBA 11" Mid-2013 to Yosemite last weekend. Forgets screen saver when I shut the lid defaults to Nat Geo

7. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

Well I was hoping OS 10.10.1 might fix this bug but it didn't. I change it to show my iPhoto Events as a screen saver and it will keep if for awhile but revert back to Nat Geo.

8. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I had this issue constantly in Mountain Lion. Seemed most likely to occur after importing a new event/project from my camera. I believe I've seen it once or twice in Yosemite as well (never used Mavericks).

While I suspect the bug may lie in Apple's iLife media assets sharing code, it's also pretty clear that the screensavers haven't been touched in some time now. The "Shifting Tiles" screensaver has had a bug since at least ML where 5 of the first 20 images are repeated every set of 20 (yes, I sat and counted to figure out why some images always popped up far more often than they should). No fix. And no new screensavers, either. Or old - I always enjoyed the mosaic screensaver until they took it away.

:(

9. Charley3 macrumors newbie

Screen Saver defaulting to Nat Geo

Tried several suggested "fixes" and nothing worked. Finally, located the Nat Geo folder (HD>Library>Screen Saver> Default Collections> 1-National Geographic) and removed the pictures but saved the folder. Then I moved the pictures I wanted from iPhoto to that folder. This is not a fix as the Screen Saver stills defaults to the Nat Geo folder, but now I have the pictures in it I want to see.

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I've got this as well :confused: Only started the last few weeks.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Me too. Thought it was just an oddity of my Mac. However it looks like it is a bug. Strange that it changes the SS but never the Desktop.

12. Macgrandma macrumors newbie

Screen Saver Bug

I just experienced this with the update of iPhoto. My temporary fix, learned on a forum, is to set the screen saver to my iPhoto library, and then click the yellow dot to minimize it on the dock. It isn't a real "fix" but at least now I can see my own pictures. I guess I will have to remember to do this with each reboot.

13. wvbochoven, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

wvbochoven macrumors newbie

Simple workaround, problem solved:
    Go to folder HD:Library:Screen Savers: Default Collections
    Rename folder '1-National Geographic', f.e. to '7-National Geographic'
    Put an Alias of your desired ‘photo folder’ into this folder 'Default Collections'
    Rename this Alias to '1-National Geographic'
    That's all...

14. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

15. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Nope, I'm on 10.10.3, and it still happens. Really annoying.

16. wvbochoven macrumors newbie

No way, I am using IOS 10.10.3 and the problem still occurs...

17. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Hrmm...I got notification that it was addressed, and I'm not having the problem anymore.

18. bols59 macrumors newbie

bols59

I deleted all my Nat'l Geo photos from the screensaver. Now, when it f*cks up I get a black screen that says No Photos. I keep my System Preferences open now to fix this bug. It's easy to open SP, just R click on the battery power icon next to the flag of the nation you're using for the keyboard.
    As far as fixing it goes, I would've Mac or whatever they're bloody calling themselves, would fix this w\the new, preciously named browser. I am at the point of being so damaged by the two browsers before it (Yosemite & whatever the other one was) being so full of bugs, as well as clicking on a Mac update only to find iPhoto had been replaced by Photos w\o my knowledge or consent, that I refuse to do any more. I know the bugs in Yosemite; I have fixed them regularly; another new browser FULL OF BUGS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIXED BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED would do my head in.
    On a final note, why not start naming browsers after cities in which assassinations have occurred? In the interest of good taste I'll refrain from naming them...

[​IMG]

19. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

This thread is a year old.

20. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

He had to think about it for bit. :D