Screen Saver Pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by setallonfire, Jan 18, 2008.

1. setallonfire macrumors newbie

Okay, I hope I can be clear with this, because I'm getting nothing back from Google and Apple's support pages...

Under System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver there is a 'Pictures' tab on the left and a large selection of themes. There are some awesome pictures there, and I'd really like to use some of them as desktop pictures, but I can't seem to find the source files.

Anyone know where these files are located? I tried searching, but couldn't find them... Help would be awesome.

Edit: I'm operating on Leopard.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you're just talking about your "Pictures" folder located directly under your home directory. It generally has subfolders for your iPhoto Library and any other pictures you've put in there.

3. setallonfire thread starter macrumors newbie

My pictures folder only has one folder: Shortcut to iChat Icons.

The pictures I'm trying to find are the ones already on the computer, and are used as screen savers on the computer. The screen saver folder is also empty.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:
    http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2738/ssexamplefindfz7.png

I've currently selected 'Beach,' and I want to find those source images.

Edit: Search for -> All Images does not bring up the files, either...

Edit2: I've put the screensaver on with no internet connection, and the pictures show up, so they have to be somewhere... I'm thinking that there aren't actual picture files anywhere, but instead it's just a screen saver file. Still hoping...

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ah, gotcha. Yes, it's a screen saver file. In Tiger, they're located in <hard drive>/System/Library/Screen Savers...I assume Leopard is similar.

5. setallonfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it looks like there aren't picture source files, but I found a way around it. I couldn't find the screen saver file, either, but here is what I did:

Downloaded a free program called 'Copernicus,' which takes screen shots and records videos of the screen. I just went to the screen saver options, tested it, and took the screenshots as I went.

So, consider this one solved, but with much more difficulty than I thought...

(I posted this just in case someone else has the same problem, and they find this somehow.)

Thanks for your input, WildCowboy.