Screen saver / Power management issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Travisimo, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I have a 27" iMac (late 2009). I installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp and Parallels 5 - works great in both. However, when I am in Boot Camp, neither the screen saver nor any power management settings will work. For example, I can set the screen save to ON with any number of minutes and it will NOT come on when I leave my computer alone. I can manually turn the screen saver on in the screen saver settings windows, but it won't come on automatically. Furthermore, the screen will not shut off and the computer will not enter sleep mode of any kind.

I want to be able to leave my computer while booted into Windows 7, but not with the screen on the whole time. i suppose I could set up a shortcut on my desktop to start the screen saver, but I would like to use the automatic settings. In particular, I'd like the screen to enter sleep mode, but screen saver would be second best.

ALSO, if I am running Windows 7 in Parallels, these settings work just fine (even though I don't need them there, LOL). The virtual machine will enter screen saver mode and will also go to sleep. Of course, I only want this in Boot Camp, not Parallels.

Thanks for any help.

2. Jackster macrumors newbie

Powermanagement and screensaver issue

Hi there,

I have the same issues with the powermanagement and the screensaver. :( The Imac doesn't go after 5 min. to the screensaver and doesn't turn of the display after 10 min. Does anyone have the solution? Is it a driver issue... or is it a bootcamp problem... please advise.

I already updated bootcamp to v3.1

3. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have not found a cause or solution yet. But I do believe it's a serious issue because you really can't leave your computer in Windows 7 while you are away. For example, last night before work i was playing a game in Windows 7 so I thought I would just leave the iMac in Windows instead of rebooting to Mac. I had set up the power button to put my computer into sleep mode. However, when I returned home from work, the screen was back on. And since neither the screen saver nor the automatic sleep mode works, i'm pretty sure the screen had been on for hours.

Since Windows 7 *can* put the display to sleep manually, it must have something to do with the scheduler/timer. Perhaps something is preventing the time from accumulating enough to reach long enough to either turn the screen saver on or sleep. The only problem is.... you can even set it to turn on in 1 minute and it still doesn't work!

I've seen some other threads about this, but no solutions. I had hoped that the new boot camp drivers would fix this. One would think Apple would want to make sure power management and fan control would work in boot camp!

4. PRH macrumors newbie

27" iMac screen wearing out

Yes this is a serious issue, has anyone found a solution yet? I have just bought an iMac 27" and the screen is on constantly under Windows 7! Is this why Apple had so much trouble with iMac 27" screens failing!? ;-)