screen saver timing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cameraman, Oct 24, 2008.

1. cameraman macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I want to increase the time my screen saver photos are active but I cannot find where to do this.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. timestoby macrumors 6502

system pref>desktop and screensavers>screen saver tab and then select at the bottom of time when you want the screen saver to start. you can also make it so that when you drag ur mouse to ither corner of the screen that the screen saver will start up

3. PCaff macrumors newbie

go to system preferences, then click on the icon named desktop and screensaver, then there are two tabs above all the information click on the screensaver tab. All you need should be in there, if not reply to me so i can further help you.

4. PCaff macrumors newbie

Also the thing timestoby was talking about. When you put your mouse in a corner to start up your screensaver. That is called Expose. It is also in your system preferences. Here is how to set it up. Go to system preferences, click on the icon named Expose and Spaces (Expose has an accent on the "e"), then there will be two tabs, Expose should be the default tab. If not click on the Expose tab. Then there is a picture of your desktop and 4 things that you can change surrounding it. Those are your corners. You can click on them and set up whatever you want for that corner. They are limited though. Here are your options (All Windows, Application Windows, Desktop, Dashboard, Spaces, Start Screen Saver, Disable Screensaver, and Sleep Display).

5. cameraman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Thanks all for this.

What I want to do is to have the screen saver run for about 1 hour.

It has family photos and my kids love watching it.

I had it on my old iMac but now I have a new one and can't work out how to increase the amount of time the photos stay on the screen.

Cheers

6. LZrees123 macrumors newbie

I think everyone is a bit confused about your question. I believe you're not looking to change *when* the screen saver turns on, but how long it stays on for. At first this was confusing to me because I thought...the screen saver will stay on until you turn it off..why would you want some sort of "screen saver time extender period"...but then I understood. Your display is going to sleep, which turns off your screen saver. What you want to do is make it so the computer doesn't go to sleep for an hour...I'm sure it's set for probably 15-45 minutes now. You can see how to change your sleep settings here

Be sure to change BOTH sliders. One last thing. If your screen saver is set to turn on after say, 15 minutes, and you want the screen saver to play for 1 hour before turning off, you'll want to set the sleep sliders to 1 hour and 15 minutes.

7. cameraman thread starter macrumors newbie

LZrees123,

Many thanks, worked a treat.

Cheers...............