Screen Scrambling Anyone having this issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 21ce, Jul 29, 2010.

1. 21ce macrumors member

I am using a 4890 Video card on my mac pro 1,1 and recently upgraded to 10.6.4... I was reluctant to upgrade because when i originally upgraded to 10.6.3 I would always have issues with random screen scrambling. So, at that time, I revert back to my SL disc 10.6. The actual 10.6.4 upgrade was cake, no hacks needed, just needed to install netkas' program and restart. Unfortunately, the screen scrambling is back. This time when the computer sits for longer than 10 minutes, which forces me to reset the machine... I've turned off all sleeping and standby options hoping that was the issue, no luck. Anyone else have this problem?

I've attached a picture of what it looks like. This isn't my actual computer but this is the same thing that happens.

Attached Files:

2. Daschund macrumors member

I had problems with my NVidia card after upgrading to 10.6.4, The whole computer would freeze from time to time. Went back to 10.6.3 and all is good. I heard that NVidia released new drivers, but I didn't look into that.

3. goMac macrumors 603

Actually, this sounds like he's running a PC card, so it's probably an issue related to that.

I haven't heard of the Apple OEM ATI cards having issues in 10.6.4. I HAVE, however, heard of flashed/enabled cards having issues in 10.6.4.

Him having problems under 10.6.3 also makes me wonder if his card isn't a reliable model for using with Mac.