Screen Scratched already :(

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by marjen, Jul 2, 2007.

1. marjen macrumors member

Man I have been babying this thing since I got it Saturday, have not really cone anywhere with it yet and I noticed this morning a 1.5 inch scratch right along the front screen!! :( I do not have any idea how it got there. It was in a keyless pocket for about 1 hour yesterday and other than that on my kitchen table.

I don't get it, I saw the video about how indistructable the screen was and am wondering how mine is already scratched. Man I guess I need to track down some protection for this asap.

2. Djmx macrumors 6502

that's werid at the apple store they scratched the screen with a sharp knife really hard maybe u can clean it or something i dnt think it can get scratched that easly.. i mean a KNIFE!!! lol

3. marjen thread starter macrumors member

I know thats why I am like WTF?? I honestly have done nothing with it yet. I tried cleaning it but it is a scratch and will not come off. I notice a couple other scratches at the very bottom left left as well, not on the screen but. I am at a total loss. They do not appear visible when it is on which is good, but its 2 days old, I am a little worried. I would have bought a protector the other day, but did not see any I liked, I am going to try and find one of this stick on ones if I can.

4. mlkeller macrumors member

Any chance it was a production defect you just had not seen originally? Might run by Genius bar at the Apple store and show it to them, they might replace it...

5. jbstingray macrumors newbie

This seems pretty crazy to me. I am sure you took off the manufacturer's plastic film so the scratches must be on the glass. I agree with mlkeller - it might have been scratched already and you may have just failed to notice until now. Run to the Genius Bar and tell them that the unit came scratched.

-jb

6. marjen thread starter macrumors member

trust me I am as shocked as you guys. The only place it has been other than in my hand or on my counter or table is my pocket, with nothing in it. The only think I can think of is it scratched against the little metal button on my jeans pocket, but that should not have scratched it like this, plus I thought I put it in screen out so the bottom should have been against the back.

I suppose its possible it came this way, but I swear I have looked at the screen close up a ton to clean off finger prints and have not seen it till this morning. It does not show up when the unit is on, so its not a HUGE deal just sucks to plop down $500 on a phone and 48 hours later its already dinged and I have not even taken it out yet, lol.

I may call the apple store and see what they say, but going to take extra special care until that screen protector comes in. I was wondering if somehow Apple had made ones with plastic screens before changing to the upgraded glass and maybe I somehow ended up with one? Probably not but crossed my mind anyway.

7. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

8. marjen thread starter macrumors member

man i could try when I get home, might be tough to pick it up on camera. Maybe I will use my wifes iphone to take a picture of my iphone :D but just I should try and switch with her so she gets the scratch lol!

9. Mathieu Basiat macrumors newbie

10. Cov macrumors newbie

protection

If you already have a scratch this really is not going to be a lot of help, but for your... ahem... "wife's" phone (soon to be yours) you should try one of these films. I put one on mine before i even started playing with it, and as long as you are careful (really careful) when you put it on so as to not have bubbles under it, you can't even tell it is on there. It isn't complete protection, like a hard case construction, but you really can't do that with the touch screen. I have had no problems with this at all and I love it. 14 bucks for 2 of them. Available at the Apple brick and mortar stores too. Sucks about your scratch...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B319498&nplm=TN612LL/A

11. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Glass is hard but silica (sand) is harder. So if you have some blown dust land on the screen or on the cloth you use to wipe it with you could scratch it. That said it still should hold up much better than any plastic screen.

Greg