Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I currently own a silver iPhone 6 and a pebble steel and am considering the Sport with white band. How comparable is the iPhone 6 screen to the Apple Watch Sport in terms of scratch resistance? I haven't experienced screen scratches on my pebble's gorilla glass or on the iPhone.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
This is a new type of glass from Apple. I'm sure that it will eventually scratch but we haven't seen any independent testing to see just what it will take to get the screen to scratch. Check YouTube Fri or Sat this weekend. There will be some endurance tests on the watches.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks,

Even if I ordered now I'd have plenty of time to cancel in the event of ScratchGate. I wasn't sure if I could expect at least iPhone 6 quality resistance or not.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I thought I read that the glass is the same (or very similar) on the Watch Sport and the iPhone 6.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I currently own a silver iPhone 6 and a pebble steel and am considering the Sport with white band. How comparable is the iPhone 6 screen to the Apple Watch Sport in terms of scratch resistance? I haven't experienced screen scratches on my pebble's gorilla glass or on the iPhone.

The iPhone 6 likely uses Gorilla Glass 3 (4 wasn't ready in time) while the :apple:Watch will almost certainly be GG4. Both are about the same scratch resistant with 4 being stronger.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Thanks,

Even if I ordered now I'd have plenty of time to cancel in the event of ScratchGate. I wasn't sure if I could expect at least iPhone 6 quality resistance or not.

I think it is safe to assume that it will be at least iPhone 6 quality ... if anything, I think I read that it is an improved version of the glass that should be even stronger.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
So it's fair to say that if I'm satisfied with my Pebble Steel (GG3?) and my iPhone 6, and scratch related concerns with the Watch Sport would be scratches to the body of the watch? (with majority of which will be covered by my wrist.)

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Screen Scratches vs Iphone

The iPhone 6 likely uses Gorilla Glass 3 (4 wasn't ready in time) while the :apple:Watch will almost certainly be GG4. Both are about the same scratch resistant with 4 being stronger.

What this guy said

I ordered the silver sport with white band, not to concerned about scratches on the screen since I take really good care of my electronics. Gorilla glass 4 will be pretty durable. Plus I'll probably be getting a new watch in a year or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.