Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

currins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
I'm getting ready to purchase a 15" MBP. Up until now, I was just going to go with the default screen selection. But now I'm hesitating.

I know a trip to the local Apple store is the best bet, but I'm curious on your thoughts.

Is the Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display worth an extra $100? Is the Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display worth an extra $150?

I won't be doing an other upgrades to RAM or HD, just going with the defaults (4G, 320 @5400).

I figure I can upgrade the RAM and HD after-market for cheaper. But the screen, I would be stuck with the original purchase selection.

Thanks for any help!

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
This a very personal decision, there is no doubt that the higher resolution will provide more screen space, useful for everyone, but it has one major issue, the small text size in menues etc. If your eyes are good and the small size doesn't bother you, it will certainly be worth the extra 100 dollars. If not, it will curse you every time you use the machine. I have bad eyesight and find the standard resolution perfect. The glossy vs antiglare is a similar issue, both have their fans and opponents. Again it is a personal choice, so you should probably take the time and trouble to get to an Apple store and check it out in person. Listening to other people's advice just won't give the certainty a visit to the store will. :cool::apple::cool:Store:cool::apple::cool:

brdnboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
This a very personal decision, there is no doubt that the higher resolution will provide more screen space, useful for everyone, but it has one major issue, the small text size in menues etc. If your eyes are good and the small size doesn't bother you, it will certainly be worth the extra 100 dollars. If not, it will curse you every time you use the machine. I have bad eyesight and find the standard resolution perfect. The glossy vs antiglare is a similar issue, both have their fans and opponents. Again it is a personal choice, so you should probably take the time and trouble to get to an Apple store and check it out in person. Listening to other people's advice just won't give the certainty a visit to the store will. :cool::apple::cool:Store:cool::apple::cool:

I agree, its a personal choice, so go take a look in person before deciding. I personally think that the Hi Res Anti Glare option is the best upgrade available for the 15" and 17" models and should be offered on the 13" (it would make it a near perfect computer).

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
I went from a 1280 x 720 resolution on a 15" screen to the 13" MacBook. I thought I would find things too small but I would say things are just right. That's my opinion however.

What would you do with the extra real estate? it would be useful if you have multiple docs open, edit photos or movies or have lots of things open at the same time.

I know a guy who has a full hd monitor and keeps one thing open at a time. A full screen word doc at that res looks stupid. I would go for the high res if you will effectively use.

AntonM

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2010
Does it make a big difference with regards to playing games and watching movies?

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
You can play games at a higher resolution but this is hardware dependent I.e you get better fps at lower res.

It will affect movies. I'm sure things will be upscaled and look worse as it's the same source res but its being stretched to a higher res. If you are watching high def media though it's probably better.

Shame we don't have bluray on the Mbps.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I can do the 12xx by 7xx on the 13 inch, but after the resolution gets much higher, I tend to get headaches from trying to focus on such small objects. The super high resolution screens I cannot do and I always turn them down. Might be just me tho

currins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Thanks for everyone's inputs!! Off to the apple store this week for a comparison.

currins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Just to update (for others' future reference) - I visited the Apple Store today and decided on the Hi-Res screen without the Anti-glare. They didn't have the 15" w/ hi-res w/o anti-glare, so I ordered on line.

I just didn't like the way the anti-glare dulled the colors. We shall see - thanks for the input in this thread.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I think the non anti glare clearer screen is much better for color myself. Good choice :D

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Just to update (for others' future reference) - I visited the Apple Store today and decided on the Hi-Res screen without the Anti-glare. They didn't have the 15" w/ hi-res w/o anti-glare, so I ordered on line.

I just didn't like the way the anti-glare dulled the colors. We shall see - thanks for the input in this thread.

I think the choice really depends on the use. Graphic designers and desktop publishers long preferred to use MATTE; indeed, anyone who does a lot of word processing can benefit as well. Most business laptops are MATTE - they are a lot easier on the eyes. I used to have a IPS high res Matte screen thinkpad for design work and it was an indispensable feature (well IPS had alot to do with it too). The extra resolution gives a larger workspace for tool bars, windows, ect...

I always wonder, why would anyone buy a macbook pro for gaming?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I think the choice really depends on the use. Graphic designers and desktop publishers long preferred to use MATTE; indeed, anyone who does a lot of word processing can benefit as well. Most business laptops are MATTE - they are a lot easier on the eyes. I used to have a IPS high res Matte screen thinkpad for design work and it was an indispensable feature (well IPS had alot to do with it too). The extra resolution gives a larger workspace for tool bars, windows, ect...

I always wonder, why would anyone buy a macbook pro for gaming?

I chose matte because the glossy can be fatiguing. and definitely after viewing for 10+ hours a day.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
I prefer the regular resolution on the 15". I use my MBP most of the time with a 24" Dell screen (U2410) and they have roughly the same pixel density. On their own, the higer rez screens are nice, but (to me) the screen becomes useless on the desktop because the tiny size of everything wigs my eyes out.

I prefer the gloss mostly because I like the black border. I'd be fine with a matte screen if they also had the black border.

articcine

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2010
Lillehammer, Norway
In my opinion, it's not worth the extra money. However, for me it's not important that every detail is perfect, I don't really see the problem with the standard option. I'd go for the Hi-res glossy one, the antiglare screen is good for some kind of work, but not absolutely necessary in my opinion.

Last edited:

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
The screen is the one part of your mac that you will spend more time starring at than any other. lol. AT LEAST, get a hi res screen. The antiglare is more of a preference thing. I personally dig it and get headaches on the glossy macs. but thats just me. Its also lighter. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.