Screen share iPad with Mac?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MK25toLife, Mar 4, 2011.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

I want to get the new iPad for my parents but screen sharing is very important for me b/c I know there is going to be a MAJOR learning curve. I do not live with them and would like to be able to show them how to do use it remotely. Is this possible?

2. PCClone macrumors 6502a

You just need to get a really long HDMI cable. Then you can see what they are doing on your TV while you talk to them on the phone.

3. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

4. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

No, I don't think this is possible.

Best bet is a iChat/Facetime/Skype session on a Mac/PC while you demonstrate with an iPad/iPhone.

5. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

6. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

FaceTime is the answer!

I know that this sounds like a fanboy response but honestly if you're getting your parents an iPad 2 and you have either an iPhone or a Mac and an iPad (to demonstrate on) you should be able to FaceTime them and demonstrate common things to do. You might have to walk them through setting up the network if you think that they might be unable to do it, but I think it would be a good use of FaceTime... you could pitch it to Apple for a commercial!

7. sanford macrumors 65816

There are several apps that let you control a Mac from an iOS device, but not vice versa.

But, all good intentions aside, trust me on this because I went through it for two decades before I learned how to "come from a place of no," don't give anyone other than your own children -- whom you owe tutoring and guidance -- anything they can't learn to use and maintain on their own. You'll become mired in supporting the product, and the mere fact you know better than them will make it possible for them to own the thing yet not acquire the knowledge and skills to use it and maintain it. Because they can always call you.

I know you mean well, very well, but you are standing at the gates of Hell. Don't go in.

8. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Agree - Marvelled as a friend's inquisitive two-year-old daughter picked up my iPad, and within minutes was at home with switching app pages, opening and closing games, and generally playing around with it.

My parents are luddites, yet both love their iPhones and never need to ask questions about them (whereas I end up troubleshooting their PCs every time I am home). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly your folks get to grips with their iPads.

9. ZilogZ80, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/18/veency-vnc-server-for-iphone/

jb only of course.
    I've not had cause to use it before but tested it right now (it's free!) and it works brilliantly with the iPad. Just for giggles I used my Mac to load up iTeleport on my iPad which I then connected back to my Mac to generate one of those infinity tunnels on my screen!

EDIT: of course, there's no jb for ipad2... yet