Screen Share issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Toby Goodbar, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

There was once a time when all this worked flawlessly. After an update i believe, cant remember which one, I've had problems. I'll say in advance reboots, log outs, permission repairs, and disk repairs do not solve.

I can get screen share to work by using a "work around" otherwise it doesn't work as it should.

It should be noted that while during my google researching, i found references to "netauthagent". it seems to be the service responsible for screen share?? it isn't running on the imac (server) as indicated by activity monitor. a manual search an launch won't engage it either. I am running 10.6.8 on both client (macbook) and server.

Working method:
    finder>go>connect to server> then manually connect to "vnc://192.168.1.2", at which point it ask for authentication, which once provided works flawlessly

Non Working Methods:
    finder>imac(via sidebar)>Share Screen at which point it asks for authentication and says authentication failed

finder>go>connect to server> then manually connect to "vnc://nanuimac.local", at which point it asks for authentication and says authentication failed

it should also be noted that accessing imac file system via sidebar DOES work and accepts authentication

my iphone's "iteleport" app (a remote desktop screen sharing app) also works no problem.

Any clues as to whats going on here? Or where to begin attacking this problem?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Is it a fixed IP address? If the ip ever changes, screen sharing seems to get confused. Every method you list uses a name rather than an ip so I begin to wonder if the ip is changing on you from time to time. I would make the dhcp lease longer, 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, a year :eek: , or set a static ip for the machine you want to connect to with screen sharing. I don't know anything about iteleport. Does it include some sort of "browser" to find Macs with vnc enabled? Again if you are dealing with a changing IP address issue that could explain why iteleport works.

I use Apple Remote Desktop, but only rarely. If I use the "saved list" of family macs, it's completely useless. The IP addresses have long since changed. If I scan for machines it always works.

In finder, can you connect to a share drive on the machine, making sure you log in as something other than guest, and then try screen sharing? I've never had this method fail as I'm already connected so I can see the shared folder.

3. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

It's definately a fixed ip address. No questions about it and the router was setup that way.

Finder logins to shared drives are never a problem via any method and seem to have no bearing on screen sharing. I tried a few times myself before your recommendation thinking it might.

And lastly, yes iteleport has some sort of browser/scan. Any machine Mac machine with screen sharing pops up on the access list if it's connected to wifi

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I'd suggest trashing the keychain if you have one for screen sharing; that helped me. Go to the screen sharing part of the Sharing pref pane and delete any password you put there, and open up users to everyone, and see if that remedies things.

Also, file sharing and other protocols use different ports than vnc, so the fact they work doesn't tell you much besides that you are connected.

I'd also check your firewall settings.

5. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

where or what would i be looking for as far as the screen sharing keychain?
    i believe thats a step in the right direction.

when i enable "requests to share screen" it works. but whenever i use the "anyone via password" method, its no dice. i tried changing the password from my default login name password, but to no avail. if i login using my name and leave out the password i get a message that says netauthagent needs it, with a space to provide it. that just makes screen sharing try to connect for eternity and i have to log out to clear it.

i don't see anything that looks like it could be the screen sharing keychain neither manually nor using the keychain app

6. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

BUMP!!

anyone know how to trash the screen share keychain?

7. steward macrumors newbie

Was there any resolution to this?
    You covered off my problem nicely.

8. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

No not really. I would've tried the keychain trash but no one could tell me how. But if u do find a solution, I'd appreciate a post.