Screen Sharing and Nvidia Web Drivers

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GraniteTheWolf, Nov 7, 2015.

  1. GraniteTheWolf macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #1
    Yesterday I finally got around to ordering my new graphics card. It is a MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5T Titanium OC card. After ordering I got curious about the web drivers.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/291560857366?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (not my ad, just what I purchased)

    I know it will work with the current nvidia web drivers I have installed and turned on for my current GTX 570.

    If for some reason the web drivers happened to go out on me, like if I updated before waiting for the web driver to get an update, would I still be able to control my mac pro with screen sharing from my macbook air? Or would I have to take my new graphics card out and put my 570 back in- which is supported by native osx drivers?

    I'm guessing when you have a graphics card that doesn't have native OSX driver support you have to update the nvidia web drivers first before any OSX related update beyond individual programs updating? I have automatic updates turned off in OSX, I check for updates manually.

    For my 2012 6-core Mac Pro.
     
  2. scott.n macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2010
    #2
    Yes, screen sharing will work. But you'll still need to set boot-args (as described in the sticky at the top of this forum) before rebooting for a system update.

    You cannot (without additional hacks) update web drivers "first". The web drivers are tied to a specific OS version, so you can't install the updated drivers for 10.11.2 (for example) while your system is still running 10.11.1.

    The easiest method is to do exactly what you describe: update OS X first, then use screen sharing to log in and install web drivers.

    You might also want to have the guest account active. I haven't seen anyone else mention this issue, but for 10.11.0 and 10.11.1, I've needed to use it to reset boot-args and install web drivers. (See this post of mine for more detail.)
     
  3. netkas macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #3
    you can also send it to mvc for flashing. 10.11 -> 10.11.1 update went flawless on flashed maxwell cards: install update, reboot, you have screen with no acceleration (but working screen), install web drivers, reboot, everything is working fine again.

    or just use 570 to install update and new web drivers.
     
  4. GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #4
    The easy method is what I was hoping would work.
    1- Wait for available nvidia update to release and then update OSX.
    2- Upon OSX update completion reboot into what im guessing will be a black screen.
    3-Fire up my macbook air to start screen sharing to take control of my mac pro, install new web drivers, reboot and back up and running normally.

    I'm keeping my Mac Pro on Yosemite. So updates will be less frequent anyway.
    If I do the method above with screen sharing, will I have to bother with setting boot-args? I have never done this, I noticed the sticky'd thread showing the code. Guessing the code can just be copied and pasted into terminal?
     
  5. scott.n macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2010
    #5
    You will still need to set boot-args when upgrading the OS. (More precisely, whenever the build number changes, which also includes security and supplemental updates.) If you're on 10.10.5 and plan on staying there, and are already running the web drivers, then your initial installation should be plug-and-play.

    Yes, you can just copy and paste the commands into terminal.

    BTW, good call on keeping your MP on Yosemite. I'm considering downgrading.
     
  6. GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #6
    Another option I had was to buy a cheap OEM Mac Pro GT120 to leave in a upper unused slot for troubleshooting if needed. Would this work? I dont care about performance, just so I have useable video output for OSX so i can get the 970 to work after updates without having to pull my system apart to swap gpus every security update.
    I also have a windows 7 bootcamp drive. Id want the GT120 to be disabled in windows.

    As for keeping Yosemite- I installed El Capitan on my 2015 macbook air and that went from near-instant boot to a 3-4 second wait. The ssd in my MbA blows the ssds out of the water in my mac pro, and I love how Yosemite runs on my Mac Pro. No reason to upgrade, why fix what isnt broken? lol.
     
  7. scott.n macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2010
    #7
    You'll still need to modify boot-args when doing an update. Maxwell cards (like the 970) will prevent the Mac Pro from booting otherwise. Doesn't matter if you have an additional supported card in the machine.

    It's not a difficult process:
    1. Download OS update
    2. Enter sudo nvram boot-args="nv_disable=1" in Terminal
    3. Reboot to install update
    4. Screen share into machine and log on
    5. Download updated web drivers
    6. Enter sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1" in Terminal
    7. Reboot to install new web drivers
     
  8. GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #8
    Perfect, thanks for making it a simple step by step process! I purchased a GT120 for $60 anyway just because it would be smart to have a apple OEM EFI card laying around anyway since I don't have one at all.
     
  9. GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #9
    One last quick question. My Nvidia web driver is fully up to date, installed, and enabled. Am I all set to go when my 970 arrives in the mail on Thursday?

    Meaning I can just install it and fire it up? Don't have to mess with anything since the web drivers are both installed and enabled?
     
  10. GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #11
    Thanks everyone. Running on my new MSI 970 right now. Kinda sweet upgrading from a 570, even my driver for the 570 in windows also was made for the 970. Only issue I had was telling windows to stop sending audio over the DisplayPort cable. It just works!
     
  11. SamPotts macrumors regular

    SamPotts

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2010
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #12
    Would resetting the PRAM do the same as step 2 (incase you forget to do it)?
     
  12. pastrychef macrumors 601

    pastrychef

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Location:
    New York City, NY
    #13
    No.
     
  13. SamPotts macrumors regular

    SamPotts

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2010
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #14
    Nice. I'm sure MVC mentioned that a PRAM or NVRAM reset would clear a boot arg that was required. Could be wrong though.
     
  14. hfg macrumors 68040

    hfg

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2006
    Location:
    Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
    #15
    Do you need to perform these steps with every OS X update for the GTX 980 (MVC modded) as well?
     
  15. pastrychef macrumors 601

    pastrychef

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Location:
    New York City, NY
    #16
    sudo nvram boot-args="nv_disable=1" is needed for all Maxwell based video cards whether they have been flashed with Mac compatible EFI firmware or not. The reason is that the presence of a Maxwell based video card will crash the built in drivers and cause a boot loop. This setting disables the built in drivers to avoid the boot loop.
     
  16. SamPotts macrumors regular

    SamPotts

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2010
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #17
    Thanks for the clarification - a bit better than just "No." :)
     
  17. GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #18
    So its been a while since the last OSX security update and I still haven't received a update notice from my Nvidia Driver manager. A quick search shows the day after the security update a Nvidia update was released for El Capitan shown here:
    http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...river-updates-for-el-capitan-update-12092015/

    What should I do?
    My web driver version is 346.02.03f02 (up to date) as the program shows.
     
  18. SamPotts macrumors regular

    SamPotts

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2010
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #19
    I had a popup last night from the driver manager (I'm on 10.10.5) so updated and then *boom* the driver didn't work. Logged in via Screen Sharing and it said that the driver was incompatible with my OS. Weird. Had to revert back and it was all good but seems like they should check the OS before saying there's a driver update?!?
     
  19. GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #20
    I'm just wondering if its safe for me to do the OSX software update that includes a security update 2015-006 1.0 without screwing up my video driver.
     
  20. scott.n, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015

    scott.n macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2010
    #21
    The Nvidia prefpane is saying it is up to date because it's running the latest version for your Yosemite build. You need to install the security update first, then update drivers using screen sharing:

    Nvidia gets a lot of (well-deserved) love for continuing to release OS X drivers for unsupported video cards, but the update procedure really could be improved by making them more build-independent.

    EDITED TO ADD: I'm assuming that the recent security update changed the 10.10.5 build number, and that updated video drivers are available. I'm running El Capitan so am not certain. I'm trying to check but you might want to verify those assumptions because going ahead with the update.
     
  21. GraniteTheWolf, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015

    GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #22
  22. scott.n macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2010
    #23
  23. GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #24
    It changed the build number to 14f1509 and the updater now says the old driver is not compatible and it doesnt find any updates. Im going to try the first download I found. Currently controlling my mac pro with my macbook air.
     
  24. GraniteTheWolf, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015

    GraniteTheWolf thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #25
    Strange, both installers refuse to install saying its not compatible. Maybe I have to fully uninstall my old driver first if i can figure out how.

    Edit- OHH those are for 14F1505

    I need an installer for 14F1509- my version as i posted above.
     

Share This Page