Screen Sharing another Mac over a different Network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by obilby, Mar 26, 2011.

1. obilby macrumors newbie

Hi
    Not sure if anyone can help me, but its driving me mad now lol.
    Im currently living at my parents and we all have macbooks, Ive already setup my parents machines to screen share and file share over our wireless network and that works fine, the problem is that they sometimes need help and that when I come in and remote connect to sort them out but im shortly going to be moving out and now have no idea of what to do if they are stuck.
    Basically is there a way to control (screen share) the macs from my wireless connection to there own wireless connection as it will be 2 completely different internet connections.

Also I have downloaded something called jollyfastvnc and not sure if im going down the right route as also have no idea how to use that.

If anyone can advise and help I would so much appreciate it.
    Regards
    Ollie

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i would look into iChat.

i'm in a similar situation and have had great success using the screen sharing feature in iChat.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

iChat will work; make sure they can use it.

You can connect using the Screen Sharing application that comes with every Mac, but make sure it's turned on in their preferences. And that you have set up both the machine's and the router's firewall so you can get through it. And that you know their IP address.

If all that is somewhat complex, then either go back to the iChat method, or better yet, get a couple copies of Share Tool. It makes sharing the screen, files, photos etc just as easy over the internet as it is over the LAN you're using now.

Rob