Screen Sharing bizzarity.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by revelated, Feb 18, 2011.

1. revelated, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

We have an Apple Server set up at work which hosts VMs in Fusion for testing purposes. I chose the Apple Server as it had the smallest footprint and price for the power required. Also, it's the coolest looking server in the place.

I configured it with Screen Sharing enabled using my MacBook Pro. I set a password to connect via VNC for the Windows users as we are a predominant Windows shop. This has worked extremely well for the past 7 or so months.

Today, I had a request to update one of the VMs on the server. Attempting to VNC to the server failed. I also could not do Screen Sharing to the server. As far as I can tell, nothing changed on either box. I went local to the machine, it was still running and correctly configured, I can only guess that there was some update to Snow Leopard Server that broke things. Additionally, I can't remote to the VM even though I had set up remote desktop using port forwarding. Just did that two days ago. So my guess is that something got screwed on the networking of Snow Leopard Server somewhere. Don't know where and don't have time to do deep troubleshooting.

Here's my question.

My Screen Sharing only asks me for a password even though I told it to prompt for username and password. I can't seem to get it to prompt for both. I disabled "Anyone can request" or "control screen with password" to test Screen Sharing with one user enabled, Mac to Mac, which based on my understanding should allow my Mac to connect directly, but it won't let me pass a username. Both machines are on the same physical network. No firewalls between the machines.

Any ideas as to what I can check to enable this?

EDIT: Rebooting the server seems to have resolved the issue somehow. Screen Sharing now lets me pass a username across.

2. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Ok, it failed out again. The Server is definitely doing something. I obviously can't keep rebooting actively used servers and I need to figure out a fix.

Problem:

Screen Sharing will not prompt me for a username; only a password, when attempting to connect to Snow Leopard Server. VNC options such as "any can request" and other options are not enabled. It looks like it wants to pass my username across to the server - unfortunately, since this is my personal computer, that's not an option. I need Screen Sharing to 100% of the time prompt me for a username and password, which I can do from Connect to Server.

Any ideas?

3. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

I can't help you with your screen sharing problem, but I applaud your use of the word "bizzarity". Well put.

4. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Figured it out. DNS issue even though I was passing an IP. I'm guessing something with Kerberos was looking to resolve some host name during communication that was failing.