screen sharing doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Mar 9, 2008.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I'm trying to connect to screen sharing on my Mom's powerbook, but it isn't working.

I get her VNC address that's listed in her screen sharing system pref, then on my computer from the Finder's menubar I do Go > Connect To Server, then for the server address I type in vnc://10.0.etc. It gives me a 'connecting' popup which does nothing for about a minute and then says something like 'could not connect to the server, make sure the remote computer is turned on and has screen sharing turned on in the system pref.'

It worked perfectly when I was testing it at my place before I gave it to her (it's her first Mac) and I had both machines on the same net connection, but now that her Mac is there and mine is here, it won't work.

The vnc address that her system prefs is listing sounds incorrect to me. It says 'Other users can reach your computer at vnc://10.0.#.# (where each # is a single digit).' That sounds like it's probably just a local address, not an actual net address.

Her connection is through an airport express base station.

'Allow All Incoming Connections' is checked in the firewall system pref.

Screen sharing is turned on in the sharing system pref.

'Allow All Users To Connect' is checked on in the sharing system pref.

What's the deal?

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

If you and her are both behind routers, you will need to open the appropriate ports for it to work properly. I was experiencing the same problems with my mom and her iMac 24"

I don't remember what the exact ports are off the top of my head, but I just made her computer the DMZ in the router and forwarded/opened ports 3000-18000 I think and it worked for me.

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Her Mac is just connected to an airport express base station. Is that what you mean?

How do you do open or forward ports? And what does DMZ mean?