Screen sharing from Mac Mini to iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asphalt-proof, Mar 19, 2012.

1. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I want to buy a Mac Mini to hook to my tv as well as use it for word processing. Can I screen share from my Mac mini (which will be hooked up to HDTV) to my iPad?

I want to be able to type up Word documents using my Mini but I'm hearing that lettering looks really poor on a TV. Plus, setting up a place to do the typing in front of the tv, then taking it back down again, is a bit of a pain. So, can I screen share the document from the TV screen to my iPad? So I could just sit at the iPad in an other part of the room and type away.

Also, will the low end Mac Mini play Diablo 3 when it comes out? Will I be able to play it on my TV as well? I would like decent resolution but settings don't have to be maxed out.

Oh and one more thing: Can I use the Airport Express as a standalone router (ie. hooked to my cable modem) for the whole apartments? Or is it only an extender?

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't tried Apple's screen sharing between a mini and an iPad. I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports).
    Yes.

3. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

So basically I would have to go with something like LogMeIn? No other way besides going through the internet? I was hoping for something a bit more elegant or direct. But thanks. I'll look into that. :)

4. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

If I understand correctly there are quite a few apps on the App Store that can do what you want, I'm assuming you want to be able to see the mac mini desktop on your iPad and type up documents in Pages/Word on the mac mini desktop via the iPad.

I myself like Wyse PocketCloud (you'll need the Pro version to connect to your mini with VNC) but there's LogMeIn, TeamViewer, Splashtop, RemoteTap (doesn't work with Lion yet) and more.

5. rovitotv macrumors member

I do this all the time

I enable screen sharing on my Mac mini then use vncviewer from the app store on my iPad2 to control the computer. It works good but not as good as a real keyboard and mouse.

My current solution is to use my Mac Mini as a normal desktop then use the latest Apple TV to watch content from the Mac Mini to TV. Not sure how it works yet because I don't have the Apple TV, but should be here this week.

6. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

If you want to play games on your mac mini I would suggest getting the mini with the dedicated graphics rather than the base model. I think it provides about 2x the performance (only really relevant for games).

In your situation I would consider using Pages for iPad and syncing via iCloud. Pages can read and write Word documents. It will be a much better experience if you use a dedicated app rather than screen sharing.

7. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks that was very helpful. If I'm going to get a new mac, I want to make sure it can play Diablo 3. Looking at the minimum specs, it may not be optimal (or even possible) even with the dedicated graphics version.

8. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

I would recommend using splashtop for the iPad to screen share with your Mac mini, that's what I use on my mini and it works great for $3. It works over local wifi and you can set it up to find your computer via a gmail account so you can log into your computer remotely if need be.

9. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool. I think that is exactly what i was looking for. thanks.