Screen Sharing from Sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by covertsurfer, Aug 3, 2009.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

Screen Sharing (VNC) is working fine but I just wondered is there a way to use it if my iMac is in Sleep mode? Will it do a wake-on-lan type thing or does the iMac always have to be on? Could you then put the iMac to Sleep when you are done on VNC?

2. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

There's an option in sys prefs/energy to allow waking from sleep via ethernet, but I don't think it works over airport. Doesn't on mine at the moment anyway

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

It won't work with airport, as explained above but the option in the energy pref panel let you wake the mac when it's sleeping: the option is called "Wake for Network Administrator Access".

If you use VNC I suggest you try this client, which include an option to wake the host computer when connecting:

http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

It is also very fast.

Other option is to use this App:

http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/

They also provide a widget that will speed up the wake up process.

5. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but the Mac connects wirelessly on the local network so I guess its a no go then. Shame.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Right. I guess the problem with Wireless is that the airport card is turned off when sleeping, so there is no wway to communicate with the mac.

Would have been cool to have an option to keep it running while sleeping, just for WOL purpose.

7. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You could just sleep the display, not the computer...