Screen sharing, headless mini probs. Maybe RAM?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shorn, Jul 28, 2012.

1. shorn macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have a brand new (well purchased a month ago, but it's the 2011 base model) that I'm running headless on my network.

I am using screen sharing to connect to it from my 2012 MBA.

Performance has always been a bit sketchy, but it's now gotten worse.

It connects fine, but I am getting many instances where the (mini's) screen is black, or parts of it are black, and that clears when I drag a window around.
    It is also incredibly laggy. I'm getting by, but it's becoming very close to being unusable.

I was wondering if RAM might be a factor? It only has 2GB. Even connected directly to a thunderbolt display it seems really slow, but that might just be me comparing it to the air!

Also, this happens when both the mini and the air are hard wired running through an airport extreme.

Any ideas?

2. shorn thread starter macrumors regular

Forgot to add, I'm running Mountain Lion on both.

3. knarzie macrumors regular

4. shorn thread starter macrumors regular

No this has not been fixed, and is still pretty annoying. To be honest, I expected better performance. Its incredibly laggy still.

Looking for anyone else's input thanks!

5. PaulKemp, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Hi, im having the same issues.

• Very laggy in general
    • Sometimes with screen sharing only a black screen
    • The black blocks you have to move the mouse over

Mine is connected to my tv and I want to access it as a server - or in a remote desktop way. I like to access it with screen sharing and do some maintenance, download some torrents etc. I dont want to turn on the tv to do this.

Mine has 4 gb ram and the disks are in raid 0 so it should be more than enough to navigate in a less laggy way.

My iMac is obviously always connected to a display, and way more powerful, but on the iMac screen sharing is way more responsive.

6. PaulKemp, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

PaulKemp macrumors 6502

this

[​IMG]

I dont think it's RAM, since I had 1 gb left when I took the messy screenshot.