Screen Sharing in 10.6.2?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Corruptitudes, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Corruptitudes macrumors regular

I have an iMac, and Mac Mini, as well as a Macbook. The mini and the imac are on a gigabit network, the macbook connects wirelessly. All computers are on 10.6.2. Just the other night I was trying to screen share from the imac to the mini. I got an error message stating to connection failed, please check your sharing preferences. All preferences on each machine are the same. The imac cant connect to the mini, but can to macbook, and the macbook cant connect to the mini, but can to the imac. The mini cant connect to either the macbook or the imac.

Here is what I have done thus far.
    1. Fixed disk permissions.
    2. Deleted screenshare.plst
    3. Rebooted multiple times
    4. Triple checked sharing preferences all preferences on all computers are
    exactly the same.
    5. Disabled ethernet from mac mini, and turned on airport. Was able to
    connect to imac, and vice versa this way. However is not a optimal
    solution as gigabit is alot faster then N network. Would rather keep it
    on gigabit.
    6. With the above information, I rebooted the time capsule. As that just
    screams an ip address issue. Nothing has been able to resolve this issue.
    The TC is in bridged mode. No settings have been changed.

Im out of ideas. I have searched the apple forums but none of the suggestions have helped. Anyone else got any ideas?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Have you tried it through iChat? It has a handy Connection Doctor section in the Audio menu that can give some good info about your network for the purposes of video chat and screen sharing. Maybe the network isn't fast enough? Access it while on WiFi.

You mentioned you have a TC in bridged mode, is it extending your network, or do you have an extended network with multiple routers? If you do, your WiFi speeds may not be fast enough if the machine is connected to the extender (or if the computer is at the edge of your network and you have a low multicast rate).

3. Corruptitudes thread starter macrumors regular

I tried this through Ichat, and could connect just fine. I looked at the connection doctor and was pulling 48kb/s.

I actually went and assigned another ip address to the mac mini. This actually fixed the issue. Im now able to screen share on the mac mini with the imac. I reviewed my two routers involved. And neither router is restricting this ip address. Im unsure as to why this ip address that was assigned had to be changed. It was working fine just a few days ago.

But at least it is fixed for now.