Screen Sharing in Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kashchei, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I just bought an iBook for a friend that lives in France (Christmas present). She is not computer savvy, and I would have liked to been able to have Leopard's screen sharing capability to help her out when she needs it (the machine is below Leopard's requirements). Is there an alternative to this feature in Tiger? I've heard people discuss something similar with initials starting with V (VCR, VHS or something like this) but I can't remember well enough to google it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to be able to put whatever is necessary on the machine before I mail it out on Monday. Thanks in advance!

2. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Psychofreak, thanks so much for the recommendation! The machine arrived today and I installed logmein and tried it out. It is awesome--thanks again!

3. just02 macrumors member

Just to throw it out there, are you talking about a VPN? (virtual private network) :)

4. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

To be honest, I don't know what a VPN is. If it does what "Log Me In" does, than that is what I am looking for (only if it does a better job--this program seems to work quite well).

5. just02 macrumors member

Log Me In, which I'm going to have to play with sometime, seems to be what you're looking for.

(From Google...) A VPN is a form of communication over networks that are public in ownership, but emulate a private network in terms of security.

:)

6. JustinBrown macrumors newbie

FYI - what you are thinking of is VNC. it can be more powerful than LogMeIn, but requires more technical setup (configuration of firewalls, router settings, and IP settings).