screen sharing is pretty damn cool

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mca7, Oct 28, 2007.

1. mca7 macrumors member

i really have no use for it yet but i tried it out with a buddy of mine in canada and it was pretty damn cool. anyone else had a chance to play around with it?

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I have to agree. I havve tried it out over a network and over iChat. Its pretty damn cool. Its really useful to, i just cant wait till i have a use for it =D

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Girlfriend just bought a MacBook Pro on Friday, and Screen Sharing has proven eminently useful for helping her get things figured out when I'm not around.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

been using vnc on windows and unix and linux for years. old news. but, yes, cool :)

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Thats a great use. OOH ill be doing that with a couple of my friends soon. THAT is exciting =D

True, new to use though, and its a bit more user friendly i believe (correct me if im wrong) but it seems anyone could do this, you dont have to have any priot knowlege (except whether or not your computer is capable :D)

6. WillMak macrumors 6502a

it's going to make software questions/tech questions easy. Not sure about something? Or something isn't quite working right? Just iChat with an apple technition!

7. cmaier macrumors G3

Certainly more userfriendly on the front-end. It's using vnc, though, so you can actually share screens to other devices (I even run vnc client on my old treo 650).

Give apple props - unlike MS, they chose not to reinvent the wheel for this.

8. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

True, but MS RDP is much faster. Why is that? I always found VNC very slow - on the Mac and Windows.

9. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Aww... I've always wanted to try out screen sharing, but I have no one to play with. :(:p

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Ditto, but this is VNC for the layperson. Click a button and you're done - no IP addresses or firewalls or passwords involved.

Screen-sharing is pretty fast. It uses progressive rendering, so it only redraws the bits of the screen that change. Quite responsive.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

Lots of different variants of vnc. I always found tightvnc to be "fast enough."

RDP probably sends less information, like "draw a button with this text at x,y" instead of having to always send bitmaps.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've been using it for years on Windows, Linux and Macs, but this is a pretty good implementation. Like Spaces ... I've had virtual desktops for years in all three OSs (using Virtue on my Mac) but Apple's Spaces implementation is the first time I've felt it's been done properly. Sharing is less of a standout compared to standard VNC, but is still done very well for Mac sharing.

13. kurtk9 macrumors newbie

Any suggestions for clients for Win XP for us first time VNC users?

14. cmaier macrumors G3

I use ultravnc on xp.

15. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I have only one gripe - I shared my screen with a co-worker. He is on a 13" MacBook and Im on A 17" MacBook Pro with two monitors. When you share two monitors its incredibly small. You cant even read the error messages - wish there was a way to zoom in - maybe I missed it though....

16. Adrian3300 macrumors member

hold control then scroll with mouse wheel and you can zoom